These easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are the perfect balance of salty and sweet. They are tossed in olive oil, spices, and herbs and roasted until crispy and brown. Served with a tangy garlic aioli, these are the simplest and most flavorful side dish.
These sweet potato cubes scream fall, just like my Air Fryer Butternut Squash recipe.
- Simple & easy
- Ready in less than 15 minutes
- Tangy garlic lemon aioli
- Tossed in spices and fresh rosemary
- Healthier than fried potatoes
- Sweet Potato: There are different varieties of sweet potatoes found at the grocery store. I prefer to use Garnet sweet potatoes. They have a deep red orange skin and are orange on the inside.
- Olive Oil: Swap for avocado oil.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- COSORI Air Fryer Max XL: One of the highest rated air fryers on Amazon with a 9 x 9 inch basket.
- OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler: A must have tool in every kitchen.
- Fullstar Vegetable Chopper: One of my favorite kitchen gadgets. The large blade is perfect for potatoes.
- Make the aioli.
- Toss the cubed sweet potatoes.
- Roast in the air fryer until tender.
Step by Step
Step 1: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the potato cubes, olive oil, salt, rosemary, paprika, garlic, and pepper.
TIP - As the aioli sits, it will develop more flavor.
Step 3: Fill the air fryer basket with sweet potato cubes (All of them will probably not fit so I recommend cooking in batches.)
Step 4: Air fry at 390 degrees for 11-13 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
TIP - Check on the potatoes as they are cooking to ensure they do not burn.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Refrigerator: Store leftover roasted sweet potatoes and lemon garlic aioli in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Allow the sweet potato chunks to cool completely in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight. Place the cooled sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 4-6 hours. Transfer the frozen potatoes to a freezer bag or airtight container.
- Reheating: Reheat leftover or frozen sweet potato cubes in the air fryer at 375 degrees until hot. For leftover potatoes (unfrozen), this will take about 4-5 minutes. Add 2 minutes if the potatoes are frozen. Continue to cook in 2 minute increments until hot.
- Make Ahead: Make the aioli up to 1 day in advance.
- Note: Potatoes are best served fresh out of the air fryer.
- Wash, peel, and dry sweet potatoes. Before you begin cutting up the potatoes, be sure to wash and peel them completely. You can leave the skin on, but I find they taste better without the skin. Allow the potatoes to dry before tossing to avoid excess water.
- Cut the potatoes evenly. Uniform potato chunks cook more evenly. This is why I love to use a chopper.
- Check the sweet potato cubes as they are cooking. The exact temperature and cook time varies for each air fryer. Be sure to shake them halfway through so they do not burn.
- Batch cook. Depending on the size of the air fryer basket, you may need to cook the potatoes in batches to avoid overfilling it. Serve potatoes immediately as they come out or hold them in the oven at 250 degrees on a baking sheet.
- Don’t forget about dipping sauce. I love to serve these with lemon garlic aioli, ketchup, or ranch.
- Sweet potato cubes are best served hot and fresh out of the air fryer.
- Spicy: Add about a ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper when tossing the potatoes.
- Sweet: Add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup before cooking.
- Oven: Bake sweet potato cubes at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Mix up the spices. Try adding a ½ teaspoon of chili powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, thyme, etc. Use whatever you have on hand!
Not necessarily. Both white and sweet potatoes have a variety of nutrients. Eat whichever your body is craving.
There are a couple of reasons why sweet potatoes might not get crispy. If the potatoes were wet when they went in the air fryer, the excess water would steam the potatoes instead of roasting them. You may have not used enough oil. Oil also helps get the potatoes crispy. Lastly, the air fryer could be overfilled. If the air can’t properly circulate around the food, it will not get crispy.
To roast a whole sweet potato in the air fryer, you will need to cook it for 45 minutes at 390 degrees, flipping halfway, until fork tender.
Yes, it is safe to put aluminum foil in the air fryer, but it is often not necessary.
Yes, it is safe to eat the skin of a sweet potato. Be sure to wash the skin extremely well since potatoes are grown in the ground.
These sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish for any protein, like grilled chicken, steak, or fish. Try pairing them with these bratwurst. You can also serve these sweet potatoes as a side dish for breakfast or brunch.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1 large sweet potato (1 pound), peeled & cut in ½ inch cubes*
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Garlic Lemon Aioli
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- cracked pepper
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, combine the potato cubes, olive oil, salt, rosemary, paprika, garlic, and pepper.
- Fill the air fryer basket with sweet potato cubes (All of them will probably not fit so I recommend cooking in batches.)
- Air fry at 390 degrees for 11-13 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
- Serve the potatoes with the chilled aioli.
I don’t usually make sweet potatoes but these are wonderful ?