This chocolate popcorn is loaded with two types of chocolate, almonds, and coconut. It tastes just like my favorite candy bar, an almond joy. This stuff is so addicting because it is a little sweet and a little salty. It is perfect to gift around the holiday or serve as party or movie night snack.
Almond joys have always been my favorite candy bar. I am not sure how popular these are with the rest of the population. I need to do a poll or something on Instagram to find out. But anyways I love them. They were always my favorite candy to get trick-or-treating on Halloween or in my stocking on Christmas.
Another one of my favorite things is holiday baking and cooking. There is something so special and exciting about it. One year my mom and I made loads of caramel corn for my aunt to give to all of her employees at Christmas. I wanted to deviate from the traditional caramel popcorn and decided to create this almond joy flavored popcorn.
I love this chocolate popcorn because it is SO easy to make. It takes no time especially if you use already popped popcorn. It is perfect to pack up in cute jars or tins to give away around the holidays, just like my Spiced Candied Pecans (Cinnamon Sugar Nuts).
How To Make a Double Boiler
Start with sauce pot and a bowl that will sit on top of the pot without falling into the pot (see the photo on the recipe card below).
Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. It should be about one to two inches deep. You do not need much water to create enough steam to melt the chocolate. You do not want the water to touch the bottom of the bowl. Bring this to a boil. It does not need to be a raging boil.
Place the bowl on top of the pot. Add the chocolate and oil (or butter) to the bowl. Stir continuously. The chocolate will begin to melt quickly. Once about three quarters of the chocolate pieces have melted, remove the bowl from the pot and continue stirring on the counter.
See this video for a quick demo.
I find this method better than microvvng the chocolate because it can easily seize. Not to mention, everyone's microwaves are so different. However, if you have a trusted method for melting chocolate in the microwave, do what you are comfortable with. The important thing is that the chocolate is melted.
Tips for Making Chocolate Popcorn
- Don't overheat the chocolate. When about ¾ of the chocolate is melting, take the bowl out of the pot. Continue stirring the chocolate on the counter until it is smooth.
- Leave some large pieces of almonds and coconut. I used shredded coconut and whole almond. I roughly chopped them so that there are still large pieces. Adds some nice texture!
- Press the toppings into the popcorn. While the chocolate has not set, pour the almonds and coconut onto the chocolate popcorn. Press them lightly into the chocolate so that they will stick when the chocolate sets.
Let's Get Cooking
- Spread the popcorn into a single layer on parchment. This allows the popcorn to have the most surface area and get fully coated in all of the toppings. The parchment is key so that they popcorn does not stick.
- Melt the white chocolate and toss. We will start with the white chocolate. Once this has been drizzled all over the popcorn, we will toss it well so that the popcorn is evenly covered in it.
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate and drizzle. We will just drizzle the melted semi sweet chocolate so that we have pretty look of drizzled chocolate. If you toss it, it tends to look messy.
- Add all the toppings. We will add the coconut and almonds to the chocolate popcorn while the chocolate is still warm. Lightly press them into the chocolate popcorn. Finish with some flaky sea salt for some extra flavor.