Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
I am definitely a savory brunch person. Eggs are my go to whether I am dining out for brunch or cooking at home. What about you?
And who doesn’t want to eat tacos for breakfast? I wanted to create a dish that captured all of my favorite mexican flavors but could be served for brunch or breakfast. To be honest, sometimes I will even make it for dinner.
Depending on what your body is craving, you can lighten this dish up or make it a little heartier. To lighten things up, go for corn tortillas and fresh toppings. To make it a little more satiating, try flour tortillas, lots of cheese, and sour cream on top.
- Mexican brunch recipe
- Less than 30 minutes start to finish
- Loads of flavor from chorizo and spices
- Customize your toppings to your taste
- Better than your traditional breakfast burrito
before you start
Step 1: In a large skillet on medium high heat, sauté the onions and chorizo until cooked through.
Step 2: Turn the heat to medium. Add the salt, oregano, garlic, and cumin. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Step 3: On medium low heat, add eggs and slowly scramble. Gently fold and move them around the pan until they are cooked through. Remove from heat immediately.
Step 4: Fill tortillas with egg and chorizo mixture.
- Use raw ground chorizo. Chorizo sometimes comes in pre-cooked links. This won’t break up to sauté. Look for raw chorizo so it will incorporate nicely into the eggs.
- Don’t overcook the eggs. Eggs dry out very easily so you need to keep the heat low and stir them frequently. This will prevent a crust from forming.
- Warm the tortillas. Toasting tortillas in a hot skillet is the way to go, but at a minimum throw them in the microwave.
- Don’t forget the toppings. Some of my favorite toppings for these tacos are cotija or queso fresco cheese, sour cream, fresh chunky salsa, or pickled onions. Basically anything you would put on a traditional taco.
Huevos con Chorizo (Scrambled Eggs with Spanish Sausage)
- ½ cup diced white onion*
- 8 ounces raw ground chorizo
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 6-8 corn or flour tortillas
- chopped cilantro, pico de gallo, crema, cotija cheese
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, sauté the onions and chorizo until cooked through.
- Turn the heat to medium. Add the salt, oregano, garlic, and cumin. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- On medium low heat, add eggs and slowly scramble. Gently fold and move them around the pan until they are cooked through. Remove from heat immediately.
- Fill tortillas with egg and chorizo mixture.