Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Olive Garden Crock Pot Chicken is the easiest foolproof weeknight dinner. Serve it tossed with pasta or on its own, either way it is delicious. It is loaded with two types of cheese, the famous Olive Garden Italian dressing, and dried herbs. It does not get any simpler.
I am not sure if I have officially mentioned this on the blog (I know I talked about it over on Instagram), but I am currently doing an appliance based recipe series! I thought this was perfect for the end of the year. Leave your requests down below & check out this Instant Pot fettuccine alfredo recipe!
Anyways as I was browsing the millions of slow cooker, Instant Pot, and air fryer recipes for ideas on Pinterest I came across this Olive Garden Crock Pot chicken pasta recipe (which is also quite popular on TikTok). So I gave it a try.
It was quite tasty, but I knew there were a few ways to boost the flavor and take this dish to the next level. So this Olive Garden slow cooker chicken recipe is my spin on the famous recipe seen all over Pinterest.
I added a few simple ingredients to add some freshness and even more flavor to the chicken pasta. Plus my rendition is heavy on cheese. Hope you enjoy!! xx
- Perfect easy slow cooker meal
- Loaded with cheese
- Hands off
- Kid friendly
- Used Olive Garden Italian dressing
- Olive Garden Italian Dressing: Swap for any brand of Italian dressing/vinaigrette.
- Pasta: If you want a higher sauce to pasta ratio (saucier pasta), use 12 ounces of pasta. This is what I prefer. There is enough sauce for a full pound (16 ounces) of pasta, it will just be a bit drier.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- Hamilton Beach Portable 6-Quart Set & Forget Digital Programmable Slow Cooker: Any slow cooker will work, but this one is my favorite. I love that it includes a thermometer.
- Silicone Nonstick Mixing Spoons Set: Great heat resistant cooking spoons.
- OXO Good Grips Box Grater: This includes a container to catch the cheese as it is being grated or shredded.
- Place most of the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6.
- Shred the chicken.
- Fold in the pasta and parmesan cheese.
Step by Step
Step 1: Combine the dressing, shallot, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, Italian seasoning, chili flakes, and pepper in the slow cooker. Place the chicken in the mixture and top with the cream cheese pieces.
Step 2: Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6. The chicken should be falling apart and register at least 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
Step 3: Shred the chicken with two forks and stir.
Step 4: Fold in the pasta and parmesan cheese. Serve with extra parmesan cheese on top.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Refrigerator: Store leftover olive garden chicken pasta in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: Heat leftovers up in the microwave in 1 minute increments until heated through.
- Freezer: After step 3, allow the Olive Garden Crock Pot chicken to cool in the refrigerator overnight. Portion the chicken into freezer bags or airtight containers. I recommend freezing it in portions that you plan to eat all at once as thawed & reheated chicken should not be put back into the fridge.
- Reheat: Heat frozen chicken covered over medium heat on the stove. No need to thaw. Stir in cooked pasta and parmesan cheese. Add a splash of chicken broth if the chicken pasta seems dry.
- Use a meat thermometer. Since every slow cooker cooks differently, the best way to ensure the chicken is done, is to use a thermometer. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees. However, the chicken will likely be higher in temperature because you want it to be falling apart.
- Add the parmesan at the end. This prevents the sauce from becoming grainy.
- Boil the pasta in salted water. For every pound of pasta, 1 Tablespoon of salt should be added to the water.
- This slow cooker Olive Garden chicken does not taste like chicken alfredo. While the pasta is creamy and cheesy, it is tangier than traditional alfredo and less creamy.
- Instant Pot: Place all of the ingredients except the cream cheese, pasta, and parmesan cheese in the pot. Pressure cook on “High” for 15 minutes. Let the pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release. Turn the pot on “Keep Warm”. Shred the chicken. Stir in the cream cheese pieces until melted. Turn the pot off and fold in the parmesan cheese and pasta.
- Low carb/keto: Serve this Olive Garden chicken over zucchini or squash noodles, cauliflower rice, cauliflower mash, or its own with vegetables or salad on the side.
- Gluten-free: Feel free to swap the pasta for gluten free pasta. I like the brown rice pasta from Trader Joe’s. Follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
- Greens: 30 minutes before the Olive Garden Crock Pot chicken is done, add a few cups of raw spinach or kale to the slow cooker. It should wilt and reduce in volume significantly. Follow the rest of the recipe as directed.
Olive Garden Crock Pot Chicken
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) bottle , Olive Garden Italian Dressing
- 1 shallot, diced
- ½ lemon, zested & juiced
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 ½ - 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 12-16 ounces dry short cut pasta, prepared according to the package instructions*
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Combine the dressing, shallot, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, Italian seasoning, chili flakes, and pepper in the slow cooker. Place the chicken in the mixture and top with the cream cheese pieces.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6. The chicken should be falling apart and register at least 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and stir.
- Fold in the pasta and parmesan cheese. Serve with extra parmesan cheese on top.