Basil Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes
This quick & easy Basil Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes is the perfect light summer dinner. It is full of fresh blistered tomatoes, basil, parmesan cheese, and garlic. This dish comes together in only about 15 minutes.
Servings: 4 people
- 8 ounces spaghetti plus pasta water*
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic pressed or minced
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes*
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup sliced fresh basil plus more for serving
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
Add the tomatoes and season with red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. While the tomatoes cook, boil the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
Cook the tomatoes for 6-8 minutes or until most of them have burst. Remove from the heat.
Use tongs to remove the spaghetti and put it into the skillet with the tomatoes. Be sure to save the pasta water.
Add about ½ cup of pasta water. You can add more at the end if needed.
Add the parmesan and basil.
Toss until the pasta is completely coated in the sauce.
- Spaghetti: Use any pasta shape you like or even zucchini noodles.
- Tomatoes: You can use chopped large tomatoes or omit them completely, but you will need to use more pasta water to make up for the lost liquid.
- Salt the pasta water. Use about a heaping ½ Tablespoon of salt.
- Save the pasta water. This is gold! The salty starchy water creates a sauce in the pan. You can add more as needed to loosen the pasta.
Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 382mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g