Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes
Inspired by the Cracker Barrel classic, Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes are the perfect crowd pleasing holiday side dish. This casserole is easy, can be prepared ahead of time, and is loaded with cheese.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time1 hour hr 5 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr 10 minutes mins
Servings: 12 people
- 16 ounces full fat sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon hot pepper sauce*
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup finely diced white onion
- 12-16 ounces (3-4 cups) cheddar cheese*
- 32 ounces plain frozen shredded hash browns*
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter melted, optional*
- 1 cups panko crumbs*
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter melted
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sour cream, heavy cream, hot sauce, worcestershire, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, and melted butter (if using) until smooth.
Fold in the diced onions.
Pour in all of the hashbrowns and fold until completely combined.
Add about half of the cheese. Fold until combined. Repeat with the remaining cheese.
In a separate bowl, mix together the panko, parmesan, and butter.
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the potato mixture into the dish.
Top with the panko mixture.
Bake for 60-70 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Cover loosely with foil if the top browns too quickly.
- Hot Pepper Sauce: This does not add spice to the potatoes, just enhances the flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese: I like to use half mild or sharp orange cheddar and half extra sharp white cheddar. The white cheddar adds great flavor. Colby jack, pepper jack, or gruyere are great options as well.
- Frozen Hashbrowns: You can use any brand of plain frozen hashbrowns, like simply potatoes. Substitute shredded for diced frozen potatoes. There is no need to thaw them.
- Melted Butter: Some prefer a richer casserole, so adding melted butter to the potato mixture is optional. It is delicious both ways, but I prefer it without.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: Substitute for crushed ritz crackers or corn flakes.
- Shred your own cheese. Buy blocks of cheese and shred them finely. This has a better flavor and texture than pre-shredded cheese from the store.
- Prepare the casserole in advance. Follow the recipe through Step . Cover and store in the fridge overnight. Continue at Step. The potatoes may cook a little fast since they are thawed. Reduce bake time by 10-15 minutes if needed.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 588mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g