Instant Pot Basmati Rice
Indian Instant Pot Basmati Rice comes perfectly every time and only takes 10 minutes start to finish. It is buttery, fluffy, light, and never mushy. There is no need to soak the rice or use a rice cooker anymore.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time10 minutes mins
Total Time15 minutes mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Low Fat, Low Lactose, Low Salt, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup white (not brown) Indian basmati rice rinsed & drained well
- ½ - 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter*
- 1 cup water*
- 1 teaspoon salt
Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the butter to the pot. Stir until the butter is completely melted.
Add the rice and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Turn the pot OFF completely.
Stir in the water and salt.
Select “Pressure Cook” and “High Pressure” and set the timer for 4 minutes (5 minutes if you prefer softer rice). Natural pressure release for 5 minutes after the timer goes off. Then, immediately quick release (turn the valve to venting) any of the remaining pressure. Remove the lid so the rice stops cooking. Fluff with a fork and serve.
- Unsalted Butter: Swap for 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or vegan butter.
- Water: Swap for chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Rinse the rice well. Place it in a fine mesh strainer or rice colander. Run cold water over the rice until it runs almost clear. Let the excess water drain completely from the rice. Rinsing rice makes it fluffy (instead of sticky) because the water removes some of the starch.
- Use butter and salt. These ingredients add so much flavor to the rice. You always want to salt the rice before cooking it so it can absorb the salt. The butter will coat each grain so they do not stick together.
- Add garlic. Add ¼ teaspoon of granulated garlic per cup of rice for extra flavor.
- This recipe will not work for brown basmati rice.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 587mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g