Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Carrots
These Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Carrots with butter and thyme are the most delicious side dish that can be made in the oven or on the stovetop. The sweet glazes pairs perfectly with the natural sweetness of the carrots.
Servings: 8 people
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds 32 ounces carrots, peeled & sliced*
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 cloves garlic optional
- Optional For Serving
- 1 cup ricotta
- fresh parsley & thyme
In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the carrots. Stir until coated in butter.
Add the brown sugar, honey, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic (if using). Stir until combined.
Sauté the carrots for 15-20 minutes or until cooked to your liking and the glaze has thickened. The carrots will release water, but it will evaporate as they cook. Add a splash of water if needed while cooking.
Smear the ricotta (if using) on a large platter. Pour the carrots on top of the ricotta. Finish with parsley and thyme.
(Note: Melt the butter before starting if roasting in the oven) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Toss the melted butter, carrots, brown sugar, honey, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic (if using) in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
Pour the carrots on the prepared baking sheet and arrange in a single layer.
Roast for 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through. Broil if desired for more color.
- Carrots: You can use whole carrots or baby carrots. If you prefer a crunchier carrot, cut them into larger pieces (about 2 inches long). If you prefer a softer carrot, cut them small and thinner. You can also cut them in a coin shape.
- Parboil for a softer carrot. I prefer my carrots crunchier so I do not boil them first. You can boil them for about 5 minutes before glazing for a softer carrot.
- Add water. If the carrots are not finished cooking and most of the water has evaporated from the pan, add a splash of water and continue cooking until the carrots are done to your liking. You can use a fork to test the tenderness.
Calories: 179kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 251mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 13g