This Dutch Oven Turkey Breast is simple, easy, and always comes out juicy! It's the perfect main dish for family dinners, holidays, and gatherings. Pair it with comforting sides like mashed potatoes and gravy for a filling meal.
This Dutch oven turkey breast features a delicious combination of herbs and seasoning for a flavorful recipe. Made with a seasoned butter rub, this turkey breast is uber-moist. It’s quick to prep (about 10 minutes) and only requires a few kitchen tools.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Herby – The combination of herbs in this Dutch oven turkey recipe helps create a yummy flavor.
- Juicy – Applying the butter on and under the skin helps keep the turkey breast juicy.
- Flavorful – Seasonings and fresh herbs work together to create a complementary taste to the turkey.
- Simple – Straightforward ingredients and minimal kitchen tools help keep this roast turkey breast recipe simple.
- Easy – This easy Dutch oven turkey breast recipe has fewer than 10 steps and ingredients.
- Great for meal prep – Leftover Dutch oven turkey breast (bone-in) is great for meals during the week as it pairs well with nearly any side dish.
- Freezes well – Any leftover turkey you have can be stored in airtight bags in the freezer. Frozen turkey breast keeps in the freezer for up to three months.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Herbs: You can also use fresh oregano for this Dutch oven turkey breast dish. Since thyme sprigs are smaller, I usually use about 10 for this recipe.
- Turkey Breast: If using a whole unsplit turkey breast that is 5-6 pounds, double the recipe so it is appropriately seasoned. Roast the turkey 20 minutes per pound. Be sure to use bone-in turkey breasts, not boneless turkey breast, for the best flavor.
- Kosher Salt: All of my recipes are tested with Morton kosher salt unless noted otherwise. It is the best salt for everyday cooking because of its size and flavor. If using table salt, the amount should be reduced. I highly recommend picking up some kosher next time you are at the store!
How to Make a Turkey Breast in a Dutch Oven
- Preheat the oven.
- Cover the turkey in seasoned butter.
- Add vegetables.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Run your thumb and index finger down the herb sprig in the opposite direction that the leaves grow to release the leaves into the bowl of a small food processor. (If you do not have a food processor, finely chop the herb leaves.)
Step 2: Add the butter, garlic, paprika, and zest of one lemon to the food processor. Cut the zested lemon into wedges and set aside.
Step 3: Blend until smooth (or mash with a fork).
Step 4: In a shallow dutch oven, add the lemon wedges and vegetables (if using). Place the turkey breast on top of them skin side up.
Step 5: Rub ALL of the butter on all sides of the turkey breast and under the skin. Season with the salt and pepper.
Step 6: Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees in the thickest part. Time will vary based on thickness and weight. Rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
How to Carve a Turkey Breast
- Let the turkey breast rest for about 30 minutes before carving.
- Use a sharp knife to carve this Dutch oven turkey breast, beginning on one side.
- Slice along the breastbone, following the bone until the meat is fully removed. Repeat on the other side.
- Slice the turkey breast meat at an angle and serve.
Recipe Serving Suggestions
Garnish this Dutch oven turkey breast with my Brown Gravy Recipe, additional sprigs of herbs, lemon slices, or roasted garlic.
I love serving this Dutch oven turkey breast with vegetables with hearty, filling side dishes. Here are a few ideas:
- Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus with Parmesan
- Green Beans and Potatoes
- Baked White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Season the turkey breast in the Dutch oven. When making Dutch oven turkey breast, add the seasoning and butter to it in the Dutch oven. This extra step helps to reduce the mess and dishes.
- Rub the butter under the skin. Adding butter under the turkey skin helps create best Dutch oven turkey breast. This step helps keep the turkey breast juicy while simultaneously creating crispy skin.
- Use all the butter. Even though it might seem like a lot of butter in this roasted turkey breast recipe, it's necessary to use the entire amount. As the turkey breast bakes, the seasoned butter will soak into the meat and skin, creating a moist turkey.
- Use a meat thermometer. It's essential to use a meat thermometer when cooking turkey, as it ensures the protein is cooked fully. This will also help you know when to remove the turkey from the oven, as the Dutch oven turkey breast cooking time can vary depending on your appliance.
Additions & Variations
- Spices: You can adjust the spices and herbs to your taste preference for this Dutch oven turkey breast. Garlic, onion, marjoram, basil, poultry seasoning, and parsley work well with this recipe.
- Veggies: I recommend adding onion, carrots, or celery for a more filling dish. However, if you wish, you can swap these out with other veggies like zucchini, broccoli, and sweet potato.
More Main Dish Recipes
Shop my Amazon Storefront!
Dutch Oven Turkey Breast with Vegetables
- 3-4 sprigs EACH thyme, rosemary, & sage, see notes*
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 lemon
- 1 split bone-in turkey breast, about 2.5 pounds, pat dry
- 2 teaspoons Morton’s kosher salt*
- black pepper
- sliced carrots, celery, or onion, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Run your thumb and index finger down the herb sprig in the opposite direction that the leaves grow to release the leaves into the bowl of a small food processor. (If you do not have a food processor, finely chop the herb leaves.)3-4 sprigs EACH thyme, rosemary, & sage, see notes*
- Add the butter, garlic, paprika, and zest of one lemon to the food processor. Cut the zested lemon into wedges and set aside.5 Tablespoons salted butter, room temperature, 8-10 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1 lemon
- Blend until smooth (or mash with a fork).
- In a shallow dutch oven, add the lemon wedges and vegetables (if using). Place the turkey breast on top of them skin side up.1 split bone-in turkey breast, about 2.5 pounds, pat dry, sliced carrots, celery, or onion, optional
- Rub ALL of the butter on all sides of the turkey breast and under the skin. Season with the salt and pepper.2 teaspoons Morton’s kosher salt*, black pepper
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees in the thickest part. Time will vary based on thickness and weight. Rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.