These Instant Pot Turkey Tacos are the easiest weeknight dinner (think taco Tuesday). The meat has a rich flavor and a thick sauce that tastes like it has been simmering for hours. But thanks to the Instant Pot, this ground turkey is ready in 15 minutes. Serve the turkey taco meat in your favorite tortillas and load up on toppings!
Taco night is a frequent occurrence in my house. I know tacos are a part of most people’s weekly dinner rotation. What is your favorite taco filling?
Ground beef, chicken, or turkey can quickly be cooked up on the stove, but I like to simmer taco meat for about an hour so the flavors can really meld together. And sometimes there just is not time for that.
So I created this Instant Pot turkey taco recipe to save time but not sacrifice any flavor. Try this fettuccine alfredo if you like quick Instant Pot recipes.
The meat is combined with lots of spices, canned tomatoes, and finished with cornstarch to create a thick and flavorful sauce that clings to the meat. Pressure cooking the taco meat really deepens the flavors. Hope you enjoy!! xx
- Easy weeknight dinner
- Healthy Instant Pot recipe
- Rich sauce with tons of spices
- Kid friendly
- Leaner than beef
- Gluten & dairy free
- Olive Oil: Swap for avocado oil.
- Ground Turkey: Swap for lean ground beef or ground chicken.
- Cornstarch: This helps thicken the sauce and allows the spices to cling to the meat.
- Tomatoes: Swap for 1 ¼ cups of chunky salsa.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker: I highly recommend the 8 quart Instant Pot so that you can cook large quantities if needed.
- Farberware Professional Heat Resistant Nylon Meat/Potato Masher: This masher is heavy duty and it can be used for any ground meat or potatoes. An essential kitchen tool.
- Silicone Nonstick Mixing Spoons Set: Great heat resistant spoons for everyday cooking.
- Brown the ground turkey and spices.
- Pressure cook.
- Thicken the taco meat with cornstarch.
Step by Step
Step 1: Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the oil, ground turkey, and taco seasoning (not the cornstarch). Cook for a few minutes or until the meat is mostly browned.
Step 2: Stir in the tomato, onion, and bell pepper, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
Step 3: Select “Pressure Cook” and “High Pressure” and set the timer for 9 minutes. Quick release immediately after the timer goes off.
Step 4: Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water. Pour this mixture into the ground turkey. Simmer for a few minutes or until the sauce has thickened and excess liquid has cooked off.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Refrigerator: Store leftover taco meat in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave in one minute increments until heated through. Assemble Instant Pot turkey tacos as desired.
- Freezer: Allow the taco meat to cool completely in the fridge overnight. Portion the ground turkey taco meat in freezer bags or airtight containers. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Reheating: Reheat the frozen ground turkey covered over medium heat on the stove. Stir frequently. You can also thaw the ground turkey in the fridge overnight and then reheat.
- Use cornstarch. Be sure to add the cornstarch slurry at the end to thicken the sauce. This really helps all of the seasonings adhere to the meat for the best turkey taco.
- Don’t forget about the toppings. Top these Instant Pot turkey tacos with your favorite taco fixings, like cheese, sour cream, lettuce, or pico de gallo.
- This ground turkey is great for meal prep. It reheats well and can be used for ground turkey tacos, salad, or bowls for lunches or dinners.
- This recipe makes about 6-8 tacos. Double it for a crowd.
- Spicy: Add ½ - 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the spice blend.
Instant Pot Turkey Tacos
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil*
- 1 pound ground turkey*
- 1 ½ Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 10 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the oil, ground turkey, and taco seasoning (not the cornstarch). Cook for a few minutes or until the meat is mostly browned.
- Stir in the tomato, onion, and bell pepper, scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Select “Pressure Cook” and “High Pressure” and set the timer for 9 minutes. Quick release immediately after the timer goes off.
- Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water. Pour this mixture into the ground turkey. Simmer for a few minutes or until the sauce has thickened and excess liquid has cooked off.