If you have wondered how to make toast in the oven, you are in the right place! It is super easy and comes out just like the toaster. This post covers two different oven methods for toasting bread - broiling & baking.
This toasting method is perfect for leftover slice of my Rustic Bread Recipe.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- No toaster required - I am going to show you how to make toast just using a conventional oven.
- Great for large batches - You can toast up to 8 pieces of bread at once in the oven.
- Not just for bread - Use these oven toasting methods for bagels and English muffins.
- Versatile - Use oven toasted bread for avocado toast, garlic bread, or just topped with your favorite preserves and butter.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Bread: My baking sheets can fit up to 8 pieces of bread if I need to make a large batch. Do not overlap the bread. You can use whatever kind of bread you prefer, bagels, or English muffins.
How to Make Toast in the Oven (with/without the Broiler)
- Place the bread or bagel on a baking sheet.
- Broil or bake.
- Flip the bread & repeat.
Step by Step
Step 1: Turn the oven on Broil. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet in a single layer.
Step 2: Broil for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Watch the bread the entire time it broils because it will burn very easily.
Step 3: Flip the slices & repeat. The second side typically needs less time since the oven is getting hotter.
Expert Tips & Variations
- Be careful when broiling. If you use the broiling method, stay close so you do not burn the toast. Many people prefer this method because it is faster. The longer the broiler is on the hotter the oven will get. After the first side toasts, the second side does not need as long.
- Cook to your liking. Adjust the time as needed to achieve the desired amount of browning.
- Put your oven rack in the middle of the oven. Putting the rack in the middle gives the best results. If you need to reposition your oven rack in a preheated oven, don't forget to use your oven mitts.
- Bake one sheet at a time. I do not recommend baking two sheets together because the toast will not brown evenly.
- Try a bagel or English muffin. This same technique can be used to toast a bagel or English muffin. Adjust the time as needed.
Toast Toppings Ideas
- Nut butters such as peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter, or whatever you have on hand!
- Cinnamon sugar for a cinnamon toast
- Olive Oil
- Over Hard Eggs
- Egg & Sausage Casserole
More Breakfast Recipes
Watch the How to Video
How To Make Toast in the Oven
- 1-8 pieces sliced bread or bagels*
- butter & jam, for serving
- Turn the oven on Broil. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Watch the bread the entire time it broils because it will burn very easily.
- Flip the slices & repeat. The second side typically needs less time since the oven is getting hotter.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and place a rack in the highest position. Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Flip the slices & repeat.