These Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos are the perfect light, fresh, and easy Mexican dish. The shrimp are tossed in a sweet and smoky dry rub and take less than 10 minutes to cook in the air fryer. Serve them with warm tortillas and a simple slaw and dinner is served!
These air fryer shrimp tacos have been one of my favorite dinners lately. Typically I just serve them with a bag of coleslaw tossed with my favorite Jalapeño Lime Crema or Quick Mexican Pickled Onions.
- Ready in less than 10 minutes
- Tossed in the most flavorful dry rub
- Sweet and spicy
- Topped with a creamy jalapeño lime coleslaw
- Easy & healthy dinner idea
- Can be made gluten & dairy-free
- Jumbo Shrimp: I used / shrimp ( which means - per pound). You can use whatever size shrimp you like, just note the cooking time may have to be adjusted.
- Olive Oil: Swap for avocado or vegetable oil.
- Honey: Swap for brown sugar.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- COSORI Air Fryer Max XL: The best air fryer on the market at a great price point. It is currently on sale for less than $100. You can’t beat it, easy to clean, large basket, and very powerful.
- 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs: These tongs are heat resistant and made of silicone so they will not damage the nonstick coating on the air fryer basket.
- ThermoPro TP03 Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer: This inexpensive thermometer works great and ensures any protein is cooked perfectly.
- Season the shrimp.
- Air fry until browned.
- Serve with tortillas and slaw.
Step by Step
Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, olive oil, honey, salt, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, granulated garlic, pepper, and cayenne. Toss well.
Step 2: Place the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Step 3: Air fryer at 400 for 6-7 minutes, or until the shrimp reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
Step 4: While the shrimp cooks, toss the cabbage with as much of the jalapeño lime crema as desired. Assemble the tacos and enjoy.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Make Ahead: The crema can be made the day before.
- Refrigerator: Store leftover air fried shrimp separately in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Store leftover crema in an airtight container for up to 4 days. I recommend storing the crema separate from the cabbage so it does not get soggy. Dress right before serving.
- Reheating: Reheat leftover air fryer shrimp (for tacos) in the microwave in 15-20 second intervals or in the air fryer at 350 until warmed through. Do not overheat or they will become rubbery. Assemble air fryer shrimp tacos or enjoy in a salad or bowl.
- Freezer: You can store leftover cooked shrimp in the freezer in an airtight bag or container for 2-3 months, but they typically dry out when reheated.
- Reheating: Reheat on the stove directly from frozen.
- Do not overfill the air fryer. The shrimp should not be overlapping. This allows the air to circulate and for them to cook evenly. Cook in batches if needed.
- Do not overcook the shrimp. I recommend starting with the shortest time and then checking the shrimp. Overcooked shrimp are tough and rubbery.
- Remember the toppings for these air fryer shrimp tacos. The jalapeño lime crema slaw pairs perfectly with these shrimp.
- Every air fryer is different. Each air fryer cooks a little differently. These times are estimates based on my air fryer. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure the shrimp are properly cooked.
- The shrimp are not spicy. The spices just add flavor but not much heat.
- The recipe can be doubled if you have a larger air fryer or cook the shrimp in batches. The Cosori air fryer can easily fit one pound.
- Spicy: Use ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Gluten-free: Use gluten free corn tortillas.
- Dairy-free: Use dairy-free sour cream and no cheese. According to this article, Wayfare and Tofutti make the best vegan sour creams.
- Salad/bowl: Instead of serving the shrimp and accompaniments in a tortilla you can serve them over lettuce or rice.
Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp*
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil*
- 2 teaspoons honey*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1 batch jalapeño lime crema
- 6-8 tortillas, depending on size
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Cotija cheese
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp, olive oil, honey, salt, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, granulated garlic, pepper, and cayenne. Toss well.
- Place the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Air fryer at 400 for 6-7 minutes, or until the shrimp reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- While the shrimp cooks, toss the cabbage with as much of the jalapeño lime crema as desired. Assemble the tacos and enjoy.