This Jalapeño Lime Crema will become your new favorite dip, dressing, and sauce. It is so creamy, tangy, and only takes 5 minutes to make. Put it on tacos, salads, bowls, or dip chips/veggies in it. Regardless, it is absolutely addicting.
One of my favorite ways to spice up a dish is with a good sauce. All you need is a base, some herbs/spices, a food processor, and you're good to go. Sauces are so easy to make, yet they add so much flavor.
I recently just started liking sour cream on my tacos (I know, I'm weird). But I wanted to spice up my sour cream with some cilantro and jalapeños. And that's how this crema was born. It all started with a taco but now I put it on everything.
- ready in 5 minutes
- only 8 simple ingredients
- you can make it spicy or mild
- use it as a dressing, dip, or sauce
- small batch recipe so you don't end up with more sauce than you can eat
- recipe can easily be doubled for a large crowd
- White onion - swap for green onion or yellow onion
- Honey - swap for white sugar
- Sour cream - swap for greek yogurt (any fat content will work)
- Jalapeños - If you are extremely sensitive to heat, start with ½ of a jalapeño. If not, start with one whole jalapeño. Add another if you want it to be spicier. I always start with a little and taste as I go. You can always add more!
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
before you start
- Set up your food processor.
- Wash and pat dry the cilantro. If you do not dry the cilantro well, the excess water will water down the sauce.
- Wash and prep the onion, garlic, and jalapeño.
Step 1: In a food processor, add the cilantro, sour cream, onion, 1 jalapeño, garlic, lime, honey, and salt.
Step 2: Pulse until smooth. Scrape down the sides in between pulses if needed.
TIP - Keep a spatula near by to scrape the bowl to make sure all of the ingredients are blended.
- Keep a spatula near by to scrape the bowl to make sure all of the ingredients are blended.
- Taste as you go. You can always add more jalapeños but you can't take them away.
It is like sour cream, but has a much thinner consistency. This sauce is my version of a flavored crema. However, I use sour crema instead of a traditional Mexican crema. The other ingredients help thin out the sauce making the consistency similar to crema.
My favorite way to use this sauce is on tacos, like these Instant Pot Beef Short Rib Barbacoa tacos or Steak Street Tacos. It adds so much flavor. You can also use it as a salad dressing or as a dip with tortilla chips. It is also a great topping for buddha/nourish bowls. I have yet to find something I do not enjoy it on.
Store the leftovers in a an airtight container for 4 days in the fridge.
Jalapeño Lime Crema
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems packed
- ⅔ cup (6 ounces) cup sour cream*
- 1 Tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños*, with seeds and membranes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a food processor, add the cilantro, sour cream, onion, 1 jalapeño, garlic, lime, honey, and salt.
- Pulse until smooth. Scrape down the sides in between pulses if needed.
Great recipe. I'm one of those "cilantro tastes like soap" people so I substituted it with parsley. So delicious! Thanks for sharing.
Saving this one for my next taco night! Love how quickly it comes together.