Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Rice is something I find myself making constantly. Whether it is in a taco skillet or for fried rice, I cook and eat rice all of the time. So it is about time I share my favorite kind and way to cook rice.
My favorite kind of rice is definitely basmati. Don’t get me wrong other kinds of rice have their time and place, but when it comes to serving rice on its own, basmati is where it’s at. It has the most delicate texture and always comes out so fluffy.
The Instant Pot is by far the best way to cook rice. It comes out perfect every time. It requires less liquid than the traditional stove top cooking method and it is truly fool proof.
So this is my simple & go to basmati rice recipe. It does not have any crazy ingredients, but has the perfect texture and flavor.
- Easy instant pot recipe
- Only requires a handful of pantry staples
- Ready in 15 minutes or less
- Loaded with butter, salt, garlic, and dried herbs
- Cooked in chicken broth for maximum flavor
- Garlic & Herb Seasoning: Swap for ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or omit.
- Unsalted Butter: Swap for 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
before you start
- Make sure you have an Instant Pot. Any model or size will work. I have the 8 quart pot, but a smaller one will work.
- Make the garlic herb seasoning. I have not tested this recipe with any store bought seasoning blends. I highly recommend making a batch of this homemade Garlic and Herb Seasoning.
Step 1: Pour the rice, salt, seasoning, butter, and water into the pot.
Step 2: Place the lid on the pot. Switch the valve to the sealing. Select Pressure Cook on High Pressure. Set the timer to 5 minutes. After the pot beeps, let it naturally release pressure for 5 minutes before opening. Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Rinse the rice well. Use a fine mesh strainer and run water over the rice until it runs almost clear. This will create fluffy rice, instead of sticky rice because it removes some of the starches.
- Use salt, garlic herb seasoning, butter, and chicken broth. All of these components result in the most flavorful rice. Rice can be made with just water but it is not near as tasty.
- Don’t skip the natural release. The rice needs to continue cooking during this time. Use a fork to fluff. Be gentle with the rice. If you stir or mash it with a spoon it will become mushy.
Basmati Rice (Instant Pot) with Garlic Butter
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoons garlic & herb seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter*
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Pour the rice, salt, seasoning, butter, and water into the pot.
- Place the lid on the pot. Switch the valve to the sealing. Select Pressure Cook on High Pressure. Set the timer to 5 minutes. After the pot beeps, let it naturally release pressure for 5 minutes before opening. Fluff with a fork before serving.