This Buffalo Chicken Dip (Keto friendly) is creamy, spicy, tangy, and seriously addicting. It is packed full of cheese and sour cream that balance out the zesty hot sauce. You can boil or pressure cook the chicken or simply use rotisserie chicken from the store to keep it super simple.
If you love buffalo chicken recipes, try these Crispy Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Tacos.
Need to use up more leftover shredded chicken? Make my Creamy Chicken Stuffed Peppers.
My other favorite dip to make on football Sunday is Air Fryer Spinach Dip.
- Extra creamy & cheesy
- Baked to perfection
- Keto & low carb
- Great served with veggies or crackers/bread
- The perfect Super Bowl party appetizer
- Not too spicy
- Shredded Chicken Breast: Be sure there are 4 full cups of shredded chicken. You can use leftover chicken breast or rotisserie chicken. However, I prefer to boil or pressure cook fresh chicken in the Instant Pot for this recipe. I use 2 large bone-in chicken breasts (about 1 ¾ pounds). You can also use boneless chicken breasts. Boiling: Fill a pot with about 1-2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover and steam for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken easily comes off the bone. Instant Pot: Pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. Naturally release pressure for 13 minutes.
- Sour Cream: Swap for ¾ cup store-bought or homemade ranch and only use 1 teaspoon granulated garlic & 1 teaspoon onion powder. Omit dill weed.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- OXO Good Grips Box Grater: This box grater is essential if you cook with cheese often. Shredding your own cheese melts and tastes better because it is not covered with anti-caking agents.
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker: The easiest way to make shredded chicken for this keto buffalo chicken dip and for other recipes.
- Calphalon Classic Hard-Anodized Nonstick Pots and Pans: A great set of everyday nonstick cookware.
- Heat chicken, sauce, and spices.
- Stir in cheese.
- Transfer and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake and enjoy!
Step by Step
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
Step 2: In a deep skillet or pot over medium heat, combine the chicken, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic, black pepper, and dill. Stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer.
Step 3: Stir in the cream cheese and sour cream over medium heat until combined. Remove from the heat.
Step 4: Fold in ½ cup of both the monterey jack and cheddar cheese.
Step 5: Transfer to the baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
Step 6: Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and golden./p>
Make Ahead & Storage
- Make Ahead: You can make this dip one day in advance. Follow the recipe as stated through step 6. Cover the dip and store it in the fridge. Once you are ready to bake it, remove it from the fridge. Bake covered with foil for 15-20 minutes. Then as the recipe states, bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes.
- Refrigerator: Store leftover keto buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. You can also reheat the dip covered in the oven at 400 degrees. However, it takes much longer to heat up.
- Freezer: This buffalo chicken dip freezes great. Portion completely cooled dip in freezer safe bags or microwave safe airtight containers. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Reheating: You can thaw the dip in the fridge overnight and follow the reheating instructions above. You can also reheat the dip from frozen in the microwave or on the stove. Be sure to use a microwave safe dish and stir the dip frequently If reheating on the stove, heat covered over medium low to medium heat, stirring frequently. You may need to add a splash of milk if the dip seems dry.
- Stir frequently. When combining all of the ingredients on the stove, be sure to stir frequently. This will help the cheese to melt and ensure the bottom does not burn.
- Serve with different dipping vessels. I love to serve this buffalo chicken dip (keto) with lots of raw veggies like broccoli, celery, and carrots. For a higher carb option, try crostini, crackers, or tortilla chips.
- The dip has a medium level of heat. See variations below to adjust this.
- This recipe can be doubled. Just be sure the baking dish is large enough.
- Less spicy: Use ¾ cup or even ⅔ cup of hot sauce for much milder flavor.
- Extra spicy: When the dip comes out of the oven, drizzle a light layer of hot sauce on top.
- Extra cheesy: Add 1 extra cup of shredding cheese on top or mixed in.
- Stovetop: Add all of the cheese to the dip during step 5. Stir until all of the cheese is melted. Serve immediately. You can also use the sauté mode on the Instant Pot.
- Slow cooker: Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Microwave: Follow the recipe as stated. Instead of heating the ingredients on the stove, heat in the microwave in a microwave safe dish. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring frequently. Add them in the same order.
Watch the How to Video
Buffalo Chicken Dip (Keto)
- 4 cups shredded chicken breast*
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, diced
- ¾ cup sour cream*
- 4 ounces (1 cup) medium cheddar, shredded
- 4 ounces (1 cup) monterey jack, shredded
- sliced green onions
- blue cheese crumbles
- ranch dressing or hot sauce
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
- In a deep skillet or pot over medium heat, combine the chicken, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic, black pepper, and dill. Stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the cream cheese and sour cream over medium heat until combined. Remove from the heat.
- Fold in ½ cup of both the monterey jack and cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to the baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and golden.