This easy Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken Chili is the perfect family friendly comfort food. It is a dump and go soup recipe that makes a great quick freezer meal as well. It is loaded with chicken breast. beans, cheese, and tons of taco seasoning spices.
Crockpot white chicken chili is my favorite soup, but if you are looking for a lighter option, try this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup.
If you are looking for a tried and true classic chili recipe, you have got to try my Instant Pot Chili. You can make it without or with beans.
Another great dump and go recipe is my Slow Cooker Dr. Pepper Ribs. They are the perfect way to enjoy barbecue without a grill.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe & What You’ll Learn
- White chicken chili with cream cheese is an easy, family friendly, dump and go slow cooker dinner idea.
- This chicken chili is the best because it is loaded with taco seasoning spices, chicken, bacon, corn, beans, peppers, salsa verde, and cream cheese. All of these components give it so much flavor.
- This cream cheese chicken chili is made without processed seasoning packets, like ranch seasoning or dressing mix.
- This recipe uses a combination of cream cheese and half and half so that the cream cheese melts better into the chili.
- This slow cooker cream cheese chicken chili recipe freezes great so feel free to double the recipe so you have leftovers.
- This slow cooker white chicken chili is kid friendly. It can be extremely mild for those who are sensitive to spice.
- This creamy chicken chili is gluten free. I have not tested a dairy free version because the cream cheese and half and half are crucial for the base of this soup.
- Learn how to make cream cheese chicken chili in a crock pot or on the stove.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Chicken Stock: Chicken stock has more flavor than chicken broth so I prefer to use it. Chicken broth and bone broth can also be used.
- White Beans: I like to use Navy beans because they are small, but use whatever beans you prefer. Be sure to drain them.
- Green Chiles: You can use mild or hot depending on how hot you like your chili.
- Jalape?o: I like to leave the seeds and membrane intact for a spicier chili. You can omit the jalape?o all together or remove the seeds and membrane before dicing.
- Cream Cheese: Use a full fat cream cheese block. Do not use whipped, spreadable, or light cream cheese.
- Half and Half: Do not use milk. You can use heavy cream for richer and thicker chili. I find half and half to be the perfect in between
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- Hamilton Beach Portable 6-Quart Set & Forget Digital Programmable Slow Cooker
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Balloon Whisk
- OXO Good Grips Soft- Handled Garlic Press
How to Make Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- Fry the bacon.
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Slow cook on low or high.
- Shred chicken.
- Whisk cream cheese.
- Stir in chicken and half and half.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Over medium low heat, fry the bacon until it browns. Set aside.
Step 2: In this order, add the stock, salsa, beans, corn, onion, chiles, garlic, jalapeño, and garlic in the bowl of a slow cooker.
Step 3: Sprinkle all of the spices on top.
Step 4: Use tongs to remove the bacon from the pan and transfer to the slow cooker so that not too much grease is added.
Step 5: Place the chicken on top of the veggies.
Step 6: Place cream cheese on top of the chicken.
Step 7: Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Turn the slow cooker to warm when done.
Step 8: Remove the chicken and shred.
Step 9: Whisk or stir cream cheese into the chili.
Step 10: Stir in the shredded chicken and half and half.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Refrigerator: Store leftover crockpot cream cheese chicken chili in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: Reheat on the stove covered over medium heat or in the microwave in 30-45 second intervals stirring occasionally.
- Freezer: Let the chicken chili cool overnight in the fridge. Portion into freezer bag or airtight containers. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Reheating: Follow the instructions above. I recommend using the stovetop. Add a splash of water if needed to loosen the chili.
- Use scissors to dice the bacon. The easiest way to dice raw bacon is with a pair of scissors. I have a regular pair that I keep in my knife drawer for food only.
- Drain the cans. It is important to drain the beans, corn, and any other canned vegetables you add. The excess water will make the chili too runny.
- Use full fat cream cheese and half and half. The fat content in these dairy products prevents them from getting gritty or clumping in the chili.
- Bacon is the secret ingredient. Bacon adds a rich smokey and salty flavor to the chili that I love. It is the ingredient that sets my recipe apart.
- Whisk in the cream cheese. The cream cheese might seem a little lumpy at first but as you whisk and add the half and half, it will all melt together.
- Add some toppings. I recommend white cheddar cheese, cilantro, a squeeze of lime, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, green onions, and tortilla chips. I love scooping up the chili with chips.
- The heat level is customizable. See my notes above about the green chiles & jalapeño. use as much or as little as you like.
- Spicy white chicken chili: Add an extra jalapeño.
- White chili without beans: You can easily omit the beans or swap them for some extra chicken, corn, or a can of diced tomatoes.
- Crockpot cream cheese chili with tomatoes: Add a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes before cooking. Be sure to drain them well.
- Vegetarian: Replace the chicken with 1-2 cans of your favorite beans.
- Stovetop: Fry the bacon in a large pot. Drain the grease. Sauté the veggies with the bacon for 4-5 minutes. Add in all of the liquids, cans, and the chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Remove from the heat and follow Steps 8-10 as written.
Easy Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- 4 ounces bacon, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock*
- ¾ cup salsa verde
- 1 15.5 ounce can white beans, drained*
- 1 15.25 ounce can sweet corn, drained
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 4 ounce can green chiles*
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 jalapeño, diced*
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast
- 8 ounces cream cheese*
- ½ cup half and half*
- Over medium low heat, fry the bacon until it browns. Set aside.
- In this order, add the stock, salsa, beans, corn, onion, chiles, garlic, jalapeño, and garlic in the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle all of the spices on top.
- Use tongs to remove the bacon from the pan and transfer to the slow cooker so that not too much grease is added.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies.
- Place cream cheese on top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Turn the slow cooker to warm when done.
- Remove the chicken and shred.
- Whisk or stir cream cheese into the chili.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and half and half.