This crustless Pizza Bowl Recipe is a delicious low carb or keto way to enjoy the flavors of pizza. It can also be eaten as a dip with crostini. Either way it is extra cheesy and super easy to make! A fun appetizer or family dinner idea.
If you love cheesy low carb recipes, try my Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- These crustless pizzas are gluten-free, keto, and low carb version of traditional pizza. You can even make these vegetarian! Perfect to satisfy a pizza craving.
- This easy recipe takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish and can be made in the oven, air fryer, or microwave.
- These are loaded with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, and onions.
- Serve these easy pizza bowls on their own, with crostini, or over spaghetti squash.
- Everyone can prepare their own bowl for pizza night with their favorite pizza toppings.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Pizza Sauce: If you want to ensure these pizza bowls are keto, be sure the pizza sauce does not have added sugar. You can use any tomato based sauce without sugar.
- Mozzarella: I like the coverage the cheese slices give, but shredded mozzarella cheese works too.
- Italian Sausage: Mild or spicy both work.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
How To Make Pizza Bowls
- Preheat oven & grease oven safe bowls.
- Layer all of the toppings.
- Bake and garnish.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place 4 (7-ounce) oven safe ramekins on a baking sheet. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
Step 2: Spoon 2 Tablespoons of sauce into one of the ramekins.
Step 3: Sprinkle a pinch of italian seasoning on top of the sauce.
Step 4: Tuck the corners of the cheese slice so it will fit in the ramekin on top of the sauce.
TIP - Italian seasoning gives the pizza even more flavor.
Step 5: Place 5 pepperonis in a circle on top of the cheese.
Step 6: Sprinkle some sausage on top of the pepperoni.
Step 7: Sprinkle some bell pepper on top of the sausage.
Step 8: Lastly, sprinkle some onion on top of the bell pepper.
TIP - Gently press down all of the toppings as you are layering them to fit all of the layers.
Step 9: Repeat the layering steps, starting again with the sauce and finishing with the peppers.
Step 10: Repeat this for all 4 of the ramekins.
Step 11: Bake for 10-15 minutes covered loosely with foil. Finish uncovered for another 10 minutes. You can also microwave each ramekin in 30 second increments until heated through or air fry these at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
Expert Tips & Variations
- Grease. Be sure to grease the ramekins so that the toppings do not stick.
- Use good quality sauce. Be sure to use a tomato sauce that has aromatics (like herbs, garlic, onion, etc.) added in already. If you are on the keto diet, be sure the sauce does not have added sugar. If you are using plain tomato sauce, be sure to add Italian seasoning.
- Heat through. You want the cheesy to be bubbling, not just lukewarm.
- Serve with bread or crostini. This is a fun way to turn these bowls into a dip. Obviously not a low carb option.
- Use one large dish. If you do not have individual ramekins, use any oven safe 1-1.5 quart dish or pan. If the dish is bigger, there will not be enough toppings, so you might need to double the recipe.
Use any pizza toppings that you like. I recommend sticking with 3-4 so the bowls are not overloaded. Be sure to only use cooked meats. Cook raw ground beef or sausage in a skillet over medium high heat until completely browned.
- BBQ Chicken: Sliced chicken breast, cheddar cheese, red onion, & BBQ sauce
- Extra Cheesy: Fresh mozzarella balls, cheddar cheese, parmesan, & minced garlic
- Meat Lovers: Pepperoni, sausage, ham, ground beef, & salami
- Vegetarian: Spinach, mushrooms, white onions, & bell peppers
- Hawaiian: Ham, bacon, & pineapple.
- Sweet & Spicy: Spicy soppressata, goat cheese, honey, & fresh rosemary
Yes. These are keto friendly (or low carb). The only ingredient you have to watch out for is tomato sauce. Be sure it does not have added sugar.
There are approximately 507 calories in each bowl.
There are about carbs in each serving. This is only an estimate.
Marco's Pizza sells build your own pizza in a bowl, but these are so easy to make I prefer to make them at home.
Yes. Many of the popular pizza chains have introduced these crustless bowls to their menus.
More Italian Recipes
Pizza Bowl Recipe
- cooking spray
- 1 cup pizza sauce*
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese*
- 40 pepperonis
- ½ pound ground italian sausage, cooked*
- ½ cup diced peppers
- ½ cup diced onions
- italian seasoning
- parmesan cheese
- red chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place 4 (7-ounce) oven safe ramekins on a baking sheet. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Spoon 2 Tablespoons of sauce into one of the ramekins.
- Sprinkle a pinch of italian seasoning on top of the sauce.
- Tuck the corners of the cheese slice so it will fit in the ramekin on top of the sauce.
- Place 5 pepperonis in a circle on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle some sausage on top of the pepperoni.
- Sprinkle some bell pepper on top of the sausage.
- Lastly, sprinkle some onion on top of the bell pepper.
- Repeat the layering steps, starting again with the sauce and finishing with the peppers.
- Repeat this for all 4 of the ramekins.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes covered loosely with foil. Finish uncovered for another 10 minutes. You can also microwave each ramekin in 30 second increments until heated through or air fry these at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
Unique take on pizza. Love it!