Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This crustless Pizza Bowl Recipe is a delicious low carb or keto way to enjoy the flavors of pizza. It can also be eaten as a dip with crostini. Either way it is extra cheesy and super easy to make! A fun appetizer or family dinner idea.
As you know from the variety of recipes on my blog, I do not adhere to a specific diet. But sometimes, I crave lighter alternatives to some of my favorite foods, like pizza. Emphasis on the sometimes.
This recipe was inspired by my love for air fryer spaghetti squash. In that recipe, I load the squash up with an herby cheese mixture (so good). But I wanted to create a pizza version too!
So I thought I would share this crustless pizza bowl recipe that can be served in a variety of ways (on its own, over squash, or with crostini). There is something for everyone, low carb or not.
I like to load these bowls up with pepperoni, sausage, peppers, and onions, but you can use whatever pizza toppings you prefer. Everyone can customize their own bowl for a make your own crustless pizza night. Hope you enjoy!! xx
- These crustless pizzas are gluten-free, keto, and low carb. You can even make these vegetarian!
- This easy recipe takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
- These pizza bowls are loaded with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, and onions.
- Serve these pizza bowls on their own, with crostini, or over spaghetti squash.
- Everyone can prepare their own pizza bowl for pizza night with their favorite toppings.
- Pizza Sauce: If you want to ensure these pizza bowls are keto, be sure the pizza sauce does not have added sugar. You can use any tomato based sauce without sugar.
- Mozzarella: I like the coverage the cheese slices give, but shredded mozzarella cheese works too.
- Italian Sausage: Mild or spicy both work.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- Sweese 510.403 Porcelain Ramekins: These are the exact ramekins I use for this recipe and my creme brulee recipe. They hold 7 ounces.
- Gold Measuring Spoons Heavy Duty 18/8 Stainless Steel: These are my most used measuring spoons. Extremely accurate, great quality, & less than $15.
- Nordic Ware Baker's Big Baking Sheet: These are the baking sheets that I use almost every day. They are great quality and very large.
- Grease the ramekins.
- Layer all of the toppings.
- Bake and garnish.
Step by Step
Step 1: Place 4 7-ounce ramekins on a baking sheet. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
Step 2: Spoon 2 Tablespoons of sauce into one of the ramekins.
Step 3: Sprinkle a pinch of italian seasoning on top of the sauce.
Step 4: Tuck the corners of the cheese slice so it will fit in the ramekin on top of the sauce.
Step 5: Place 5 pepperonis in a circle on top of the cheese.
Step 6: Sprinkle some sausage on top of the pepperoni.
Step 7: Sprinkle some bell pepper on top of the sausage.
Step 8: Lastly, sprinkle some onion on top of the bell pepper.
Step 9: Repeat the layering steps, starting again with the sauce and finishing with the peppers.
Step 10: Repeat this for all 4 of the ramekins.
Step 11: Bake for 10-15 minutes covered loosely with foil. Finish uncovered for another 10 minutes. You can also microwave each ramekin in 30 second increments until heated through.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Make Ahead: These pizza bowls can be prepped one day in advance. Cover and store in the fridge. You will need to add 5-10 minutes to the covered baking time.
- Refrigerator: Store any leftover pizza bowls covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until heated through.
- Freezer: I do not recommend freezing these crustless pizzas.
- Grease. Be sure to grease the ramekins so that the toppings do not stick.
- Use good quality sauce. Be sure to use a tomato sauce that has aromatics (like herbs, garlic, onion, etc.) added in already. If you are on the keto diet, be sure the sauce does not have added sugar. If you are using plain tomato sauce, be sure to add Italian seasoning.
- Heat through. You want the cheesy to be bubbling, not just lukewarm.
- Serve with bread or crostini. This is a fun way to turn these bowls into a dip. Obviously not a low carb option.
- You can scale this recipe. This recipe can easily be doubled or even scaled down to just serve one person.
- Toppings: Use any pizza toppings that you like. I recommend sticking with 3-4 so the bowls are not overloaded. Try cooked ground beef, salami, ham, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, jalapeños, pineapple, or goat cheese.
- One large dish: If you do not have individual ramekins, use any oven safe 1-1.5 quart dish or pan. If the dish is too big, there will not be enough toppings, so you might need to double the recipe.
Watch the How to Video
Pizza Bowl Recipe
- cooking spray
- 1 cup pizza sauce*
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese*
- 40 pepperonis
- ½ pound ground italian sausage, cooked*
- ½ cup diced peppers
- ½ cup diced onions
- italian seasoning
- parmesan cheese
- red chili flakes
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Place 4 7-ounce ramekins on a baking sheet. Lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Spoon 2 Tablespoons of sauce into one of the ramekins.
- Sprinkle a pinch of italian seasoning on top of the sauce.
- Tuck the corners of the cheese slice so it will fit in the ramekin on top of the sauce.
- Place 5 pepperonis in a circle on top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle some sausage on top of the pepperoni.
- Sprinkle some bell pepper on top of the sausage.
- Lastly, sprinkle some onion on top of the bell pepper.
- Repeat the layering steps, starting again with the sauce and finishing with the peppers.
- Repeat this for all 4 of the ramekins.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes covered loosely with foil. Finish uncovered for another 10 minutes. You can also microwave each ramekin in 30 second increments until heated through.