This cheesy Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash is a great healthy and low carb dinner recipe. It takes less than 30 minutes to roast the squash in the air fryer and comes out perfectly caramelized and tender.
I cook in my tried & true Cosori Pro 5.6 Quart Air Fryer at least once per week.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy, healthy, & low carb comfort food dish
- Topped with cream cheese, parmesan, & mozzarella
- Fresh garlic instead of garlic powder
- Cooking spaghetti squash takes less than 30 minutes & easy to make
- Reminiscent of fettuccine alfredo
- Great high fiber & low calorie alternative to pasta
- Serve as a side dish or main
- Roasting is a great cooking method for winter squashes
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Spaghetti Squash: See the section below for details about how to prepare a spaghetti squash.
- Mozzarella: Reduce to ½ cup for a less cheesy squash.
How To Pick Spaghetti Squash
- Choose a squash that is about 2.5 pounds. This size will fit perfectly in the basket. Be sure to use the scale at the store to ensure the weight is correct
- Check the exterior to make sure there are no brown or mushy spots. Avoid cracks.
- It should be firm and hefty.
- The color matters. Look for one that is bright yellow, compared to a pale color. The brighter color means it is more ripe.
How To Prepare Spaghetti Squash
- Start by washing and drying the squash.
- Next, use a sharp knife to cut it in half lengthwise. Work slowly and carefully. Try to get the halves as even as possible.
- Lastly, using a spoon, scrape out all of the seeds.
- No need to remove the ends, stem, or peel the squash. Leaving the ends intact helps the “spaghetti” strands to stay contained so you can eat out of the squash like a bowl.
How To Make Spaghetti Squash
- Cook the squash.
- Prepare the cheesy topping.
- Top each with the cheesy topping and air fry until melted.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Brush the inside of each squash half with olive oil. Season each with salt and pepper. Place the squash halves cut side up in the air fryer basket.
Step 2: Air fry at 360 degrees for 22-28 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender.
Step 3: While the squash is cooking, make the cheesy topping. Using a fork mash together the cream cheese, butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Stir in the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
Step 4: Once the spaghetti squash is done, spread the topping evenly on top of each half.
Step 5: Air fry at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Recipe Serving Suggestions
Spaghetti squash is a great low carb pasta or rice substitute. The topping options are endless because the flavor is so mild. It pairs well with a variety of flavors. Here are some of my go-tos:
- Hearty Marinara Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Pink Lobster Ravioli Sauce
- Roasted Vegetables - kale, onions, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, or mushrooms
- Olive Garden Slow Cooker Chicken
- Chicken Sausage
- Ground Beef
- Sliced Chicken Breast
Use your favorite pasta sauce!
Expert Tips & Variations
- Cut the spaghetti squash evenly in half. This ensures each half takes about the same time to cook.
- Adjust cook time if needed. Every air fryer cooks differently. Use a fork to make sure the squash is tender. Depending on the size, it could take less or more time to cook.
How To Store & Reheat
- Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Freezer: Remove the “spaghetti” strands from the skin completely and transfer them to an airtight container or bag. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Reheating from Fridge: Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in the air fryer at 350 until heated through.
- Reheating from Frozen: Reheat frozen leftovers covered on medium low on the stove. Stir frequently until heated through. Uncover at the end to cook off any excess liquid.
Don't have an air fryer? Use the traditional oven roasting method instead.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the squash as stated above.
- Pierce the skin with a fork a few times. Season as stated in the recipe.
- Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until fork tender. Spread the cheese mixture on top and broil until melted.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, (about 2 ½ pounds), halved and seeds removed*
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Optional Cheese Topping
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese*
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Brush the inside of each squash half with olive oil. Season each with salt and pepper. Place the squash halves cut side up in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 360 degrees for 22-28 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender.
- While the squash is cooking, make the cheesy topping. Using a fork mash together the cream cheese, butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Stir in the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Once the spaghetti squash is done, spread the topping evenly on top of each half.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Use a fork to scrape and fluff the “spaghetti” strands until the cheese topping is well incorporated. Serve in the skin as a boat or remove and transfer it to a bowl.