Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These Air Fried Apples are the perfect lazy fall dessert. Hitting all of the flavor notes of apple pie without the hassle of a pie crust, these are so easy and yummy. The air fryer baked apples are topped with an oat crumble and must be served warm with ice cream on top. I promise these will be a hit!
One of my favorite desserts is warm apple pie or crisp with vanilla ice cream. It is so cozy and comforting to me. So as soons as the temperature starts dropping, this is exactly what I am craving. Team apple or pumpkin pie?
My husband on the other hand is not interested in fruit desserts (lame). He is totally chocolate obsessed.
So I created these air fryer apples as a way to satisfy my apple pie craving without having to make a whole pie. These are perfect for those that live alone or are only cooking for 1-2 people and way better than air fryer apple slices.
The air fryer bakes the apples faster than a traditional oven. The apples will come out tender and the topping will be golden brown. Some of my favorite toppings for these are vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, salted caramel, or extra cinnamon. Hope you enjoy!!xx
- Easy dessert for one or two people
- Simpler than apple pie (no crust)
- Delicious oat, brown sugar, & cinnamon topping
- Ready in less than 15 minutes
- Super cozy & great for fall & winter
- Granny Smith Apple: I love the tartness that granny smith apples add, but you can use any apple you have on hand, like honey crispy, gala, pink lady, or fuji.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- COSORI Air Fryer Max XL: My tried & true air fryer. I have cooked in a few different air fryers and this one is by far the best!
- Duralex Mixing Bowl Set: my everyday mixing bowl for cooking and baking. Great quality and price point.
- 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs: These are great for those who cook in their air fryer frequently because they are heat resistant and safe for the nonstick coating on the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the apples.
- Make the oat topping and pack it on the apples.
- Air fryer again until golden & tender.
Step by Step
Step 1: Place the apple halves cut side up in the air fryer basket.
Step 2: Air fry at 350 degrees for 4-7 minutes, depending on the size.
Step 3: While the apples are cooking, whisk together the oats, sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Pour the melted butter on top of the oat mixture and stir until well incorporated.
Step 4: Once the apples are done, split the topping between each half, packing it on top.
Step 4: Air fry for another 4-7 minutes or until tender and golden.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Refrigerator: Store leftover baked apples in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
- Reheating: Reheat air fryer apples in the microwave in 30 second increments until warm. I don’t recommend reheating these in the air fryer.
- Freezer: I do not recommend storing leftover air fried apples in the freezer.
- Remove the core completely. Be sure to remove the core completely to make room for the oat crumble.
- Do not overcook the apples. The apples should be tender but not completely mushy.
- Pack the topping on. It may seem like a lot of oat topping, but pile it on. It is the best part!
- Use foil to hold the apples up. If the apples are tilting and not standing up straight. Crumple up some foil to support them. Foil is totally safe to use in the air fryer.
- Serve with ice cream. Vanilla ice cream is a must! Whipped cream & salted caramel are also great toppings.
- This recipe can easily be doubled. I wanted to keep the scale of this recipe small for those who are only cooking for one or two people, but most large air fryers can fit 4 apple halves (2 apples). So you can double this recipe to serve four people.
- Healthier: You can swap the brown sugar for coconut sugar or maple syrup, the flour for coconut flour, and the butter for coconut oil. I have not tested this recipe with these swaps but I am confident it would work. Let me know if you have success with these or other substitutions.
- You can also omit the topping all together for a low calorie baked apple dessert.
- Oven: Bake the apples for 20-30 minutes at 375 degrees. Cover the apples with foil if they are browning too quickly.
Air Fried Apples
- 1 large granny smith apple, halved & cored*
- 3 Tablespoons old fashioned oats
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter, melted
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Place the apple halves cut side up in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 350 degrees for 4-7 minutes, depending on the size.
- While the apples are cooking, whisk together the oats, sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Pour the melted butter on top of the oat mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Once the apples are done, split the topping between each half, packing it on top.
- Air fry for another 4-7 minutes or until tender and golden.