These Air Fryer Potato Skins are the perfect party appetizer or snack. They are loaded with cheese, bacon, and chives. Served with a spicy herb sour cream dip, they are addicting. Plus, they get so crispy and golden, you would never know they weren’t deep fried.
If you are looking for other easy appetizers, try my Baked Ham & Cheese Sliders.
- Air fryer potato skins are just as crispy (if not more), as deep fried potato skins.
- These skins are loaded with two types of cheese (pepper jack and cheddar), bacon, and chives.
- This potato skins recipe uses much less oil compared to frying.
- These potato skins are a great party appetizer or snack. I love to serve them for the Super Bowl.
- The potatoes can be baked in the air fryer too. So you can make this entire recipe with just your air fryer. Super easy!
- Cooking Spray: I like to use avocado oil spray. Olive oil spray sometimes burns at this temperature.
- Potatoes: Russet potatoes vary in size. Some are much larger than the ones shown. Try to find smaller ones. The organic potatoes are typically much smaller. If you can’t find russets this size, swap for a different type (like yellow or red) or make jumbo potato skins. You will need to reduce the number depending on the size because there will not be enough toppings.
- Cheddar Cheese: Swap for monterey jack or colby jack cheese.
- Pepper Jack: Swap for additional cheddar.
- Chives: Swap for green onions.
- Sour Cream: Swap for Greek Yogurt.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT: This is the air fryer I use to test all of my recipes. It works better than any of the other models I have tried. I highly recommend it, especially at the price point.
- 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs: These tongs have silicone tips which will not scrape the nonstick coating on pans or the air fryer basket. They are also heat resistant.
- OXO Good Grips Box Grater: This is a kitchen gadget that gets a lot of use in my house since I no longer buy cheese pre-shredded because of what it is coated in. This grater works great and has a container on the bottom to catch the cheese.
- Make the sour cream sauce.
- Bake the potatoes in the air fryer.
- Remove the interior and air fry.
- Load them with toppings and air fry.
- Garnish with chives and serve with sauce.
Step by Step
Step 1: Whisk together all of the ingredients for the spicy herb sour cream sauce. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
Step 2: Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray on every side. Season with salt.
Step 3: Air fry at 400 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until fork tender, shaking halfway through.
Step 4: Once the potatoes have cooled enough to handle, slice them in half lengthwise.
Step 5: Using a spoon, scoop out most of the interior, being careful to not break the halves.
Step 6: Spray them with cooking spray. Air fry at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until they begin to brown and get crispy.
Step 7: Fill the potato skins with the cheese and top with the bacon.
Step 8: Air fry at 360 degrees for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Top with chives and serve with the sour cream sauce.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Make Ahead: These air fryer potato skins can be through step 8 one day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Continue to step 9 right before serving. You need to air fry the cold potato skins 1-2 minutes longer. The sour cream sauce can be made one day in advance and stored covered in the fridge as well.
- Refrigerator: Store leftover potato skins in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: While these can be reheated in the microwave, I recommend reheating them in the air fryer. Air fry at 370 degrees for 4-6 minutes.
- Freezer: Freeze cooked potato skins after step 8 or 9. Line a baking sheet or plate (that fits in your freezer) with parchment paper. Place all of the skins in a single layer not touching on the sheet. Freeze overnight. Transfer to an airtight container or bag. Store for 1-2 months in the freezer.
Reheating: Air fry at 370 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
- Make the sauce first. In order for all of those dried herbs and spices to develop flavor, they must absorb some of the moisture from the sour cream and water. This takes some time. Make this the day before if possible.
- Use a fork to check the whole potatoes. This is the best way to make sure the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
- Be gentle. When removing the interior of the potatoes, be careful to not break the skins. Leave enough of the potato intact so that it can support all of the toppings.
- Don’t forget the chives. These add some freshness to the air fryer potato skins.
- This recipe can be scaled. If you have multiple air fryers, you can double it or just cook in batches.
- Oven: While I do not recommend crisping the skins in the oven, you can bake the whole potatoes in the oven if you prefer. Bake at 450 degrees for 30-40 minutes, checking at the 30 minute mark.
Watch the How to Video
Air Fryer Potato Skins
- spray oil*
- 7 small russet potatoes, 3-4 inches long*
- 6-7 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 ounces (¾ cup) cup cheddar cheese*
- 3 ounces (¾ cup) pepper jack*
- chopped chives*
Spicy Herb Sour Cream Sauce
- ¾ cup sour cream*
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- dash of cayenne
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the spicy herb sour cream sauce. Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray on every side. Season with salt.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until fork tender, shaking halfway through.
- Once the potatoes have cooled enough to handle, slice them in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out most of the interior, being careful to not break the halves.
- Spray them with cooking spray. Air fry at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until they begin to brown and get crispy.
- Fill the potato skins with the cheese and top with the bacon.
- Air fry at 360 degrees for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted. Top with chives and serve with the sour cream sauce.