This Air Fryer Grilled Cheese takes less than 10 minutes to cook, is crispy on the outside, and gooey on the inside. It does not get much better than bread and cheese. And the air fryer cooks this classic sandwich to perfection.
- Fully cooked in the air fryer
- Cooks in less than 10 minutes
- All you need is cheese, butter, and bread
- Buttery and crispy on the outside, but melty, gooey, stringy, and cheesy on the inside
- The perfect easy lunch
- Good quality bread - I like to use sourdough or any crusty white round loaf of bread. Traditional sandwich bread also works.
- Cheese - There are so many different cheeses that are great for a good grilled cheese sandwich. I love to use a combo of a couple of the following, white/yellow american, cheddar, colby jack, fontina, gruyere, or swiss. Use whatever is in your fridge.
- Butter - Real butter works best (salted or unsalted).
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
Step 1: Spread butter generously on one side of both pieces of bread.
Step 2: Spray the airfryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place one piece of bread butter side down in the basket. Next, pile on all the cheese.
Step 3: Place the other piece of bread butter side up on top of the cheese.
Step 4: Cook the sandwich at 380° for 5 minutes.
Step 5: Flip the sandwich and cook for another 3 minutes.
Step 6: Finish with fresh parmesan and serve.
TIP - Scrape any melty brown pieces of cheese out of the basket and enjoy! 😉
- Check on your sandwich as it cooks. Every air fryer cooks a little different. This will ensure that it does not end up over done.
- Don't be shy with the butter! The butter helps the bread turn a beautiful golden color and keeps it moist.
- Slice your bread and shredded/slice your cheese. Bagged shredded cheese will work but shredding/slicing cheese from a block is better. It melts much nicer.
- Customize it. Feel free to mix up the cheeses or add meat/spreads. I love adding fig jam or a drizzle of honey at the end. Pesto is also a great addition.
I have a small air fryer that comfortably only fits one sandwich so I have not tested this recipe cooking multiple at once. However, if you have a large air fryer, I don't see why it would be a problem.
It contains potato starch to prevent the cheese from clumping. This also prevents it from melting together when heated.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices good quality bread*
- 1-2 Tablespoons salted or unsalted butter
- 2 ounces cheese*
- Optional: fresh parmesan for garnis
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Spread butter generously on one side of both pieces of bread.
- Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place one piece of bread butter side down in the basket. Next, pile on all the cheese.
- Place the other piece of bread butter side up on top of the cheese.
- Cook the sandwich at 380° for 5 minutes.
- Flip the sandwich and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Finish with fresh parmesan and serve.
Leave a Reply