This Chicken and Rice Soup (Instant Pot) is the perfect hearty and healthy dinner for the colder days ahead. It is loaded with vegetables, chicken breast, and Italian sausage for a boost of flavor. It is ready in just over 30 minutes in the Instant Pot. And don’t forget some crusty bread for dipping!
Don't have an Instant Pot? Try my Dutch Oven Chicken Noodle Soup or the best Turkey Lentil Soup.
- Healthy & easy fall dinner idea
- Loaded with vegetables
- Full of shredded chicken & Italian sausage
- Kid friendly
- Great for meal prep
- Dried Herbs: Substitute all of the individual dried herbs for 2 Tablespoons of Italian seasoning.
- Chicken Breasts: You can use boneless chicken thighs instead, but they will release more oil.
- Wild Rice Blend: I like the Lundberg Wild Blend Rice. White rice and other varieties vary significantly in cook time and can’t be used.
- Greek Yogurt: Nonfat, full fat, and any percentage in between can be used.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker 8 Quart: Large capacity pressure cooker with multiple modes.
- Oxo Good Grips Nylon Ladle: Great for serving soup all fall & winter long.
- Non-Stick Silicone Cooking Utensils: High heat resistant spoons and spatulas for cooking.
- Brown sausage.
- Pressure cook the soup on high.
- Shred the chicken and add it back in.
- Lastly add in the kale, lemon, and greek yogurt.
Step by Step
Step 1: Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the sausage, salt, pepper and all of the herbs. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 2: Add the chicken, mushroom, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, rice, and stock.
TIP - The sausage does not have to be cooked completely through since it will finish cooking during the pressure cooking process.
Step 3: Select “Pressure Cook” and “High”. Set the timer for 33 minutes. Quick release immediately after the timer goes off.
Step 4: Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate. Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot again. Add the kale, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Simmer for a few minutes or until the kale has reduced to your liking.
Step 5: While the kale is cooking, shred the chicken.
Step 6: Turn the Instant Pot off. Stir in the shredded chicken and greek yogurt. Serve hot with cracked pepper, parmesan cheese, and fresh bread.
TIP - It is best to stir the greek yogurt in at the end so it does not curdle.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Refrigerator: Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Let the soup cool completely in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight. Portion the Instant Pot chicken & rice soup in freezer bags or airtight containers. I recommend only putting as much as you intend to eat in one sitting in each bag/container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight or heat from frozen following the instructions below.
- Reheating: Place the chicken & rice soup (thawed or frozen) in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 2 minute increments stirring after each until hot. Reheat on the stove covered on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once the soup begins to boil (and there are no frozen chunks), remove from heat and serve immediately. Do not refreeze thawed soup.
- Meal Prep: Since this soup reheats so well, it is great for meal prepping at the beginning of the week.
- Sauté the sausage and the dried herbs. This allows the herbs to become fragrant and release more flavor. The sausage fat will render and create enough oil to toast the herbs.
- Use a wild rice blend. This kind of rice takes much longer to cook compared to white rice. White rice would turn to mush if cooked for this long.
- Stir in the greek yogurt at the end. The greek yogurt can curdle under high heat and/or pressure so be sure to add it while the pot is off.
- The soup develops more flavor as it sits. I find most soups have even more flavor the next day and this one is no exception.
- Swap the vegetables. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand, such as spinach, potatoes, bell peppers, or squash.
- Low Carb/Keto: Omit the rice and pressure cook for only 15 minutes.
It is typically a mix of long grain brown rice, wild rice, red rice, and black rice.
Wild rice has a grassier and more earthier flavor compared to white rice.
I recommend a simple salad and bread. A crusty loaf is great for dipping or these homemade cheesy garlic rolls.
Yes definitely. You just want to ensure whatever you are cooking together has a similar cooking time and that there is enough liquid so that the food does not burn.
Yes as long as the chicken and soup reach 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer before serving.
Chicken and Rice Soup (Instant Pot)
- ½ pound ground italian sausage
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups diced carrot
- 1 ½ cups diced celery
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cup wild rice blend*
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch dino kale, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced & zested
- 1 cup greek yogurt*
Optional for Serving
- cracked pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the sausage, salt, pepper and all of the herbs. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, mushroom, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, rice, and stock.
- Select “Pressure Cook” and “High”. Set the timer for 33 minutes. Quick release immediately after the timer goes off.
- Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate. Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot again. Add the kale, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Simmer for a few minutes or until the kale has reduced to your liking.
- While the kale is cooking, shred the chicken.
- Turn the Instant Pot off. Stir in the shredded chicken and greek yogurt. Serve hot with cracked pepper, parmesan cheese, and fresh bread.
Leave a Reply