Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Homemade pesto is one of my favorites to make because it is so easy, quick, and loaded with flavor. So I wanted to create a Mexican pesto.
Cilantro replaces the basil. Cotija subs in for the parmesan. And lastly, sunflower seeds are used instead of walnuts. A true fusion going on here.
- Jalapeño: You can remove the seeds and membrane for less heat.
- Pumpkin seeds: You can swap these for an equal amount of sliced almonds.
- Cotija cheese: You can swap this for an equal amount of parmesan cheese. It has a similar saltiness and taste.
before you start
Step 1: Add all of the ingredients into the food processor.
Step 2: Pulse until smooth. Taste and add more jalapeño or salt if needed.
Cilantro Jalapeño Pesto
- 4 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves and stems
- 1-2 jalapeños*
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds*
- ¼ cup cotija cheese*
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Add all of the ingredients into the food processor.
- Pulse until smooth. Taste and add more jalapeño or salt if needed.