This Instant Pot Hot Chocolate is the perfect festive drink or dessert. It is super easy to make and can be kept warm in the Instant Pot. You can customize this hot chocolate with your favorite milk and toppings. So yummy & cozy for the holiday season!
This hot cocoa is super decadent and loaded with chocolate just like my oreo Chocolate Raspberry Tart.
- Loaded with semisweet chocolate & cocoa powder
- No heavy cream or half & half needed
- Can be made dairy free
- Simple ingredients
- Not overly sweet
- Can be kept warm while serving in the Instant Pot
- No pressure cooking or straining needed
- Milk: I typically use nonfat milk, but you can use any milk that you like. For a thicker and richer hot chocolate, use 2% or whole milk. You can also swap 1 cup of the milk for heavy cream or half and half to make the hot chocolate creamier. You can also use oat, coconut, almond, soy milk, or other non-dairy milks.
How to Make Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- Whisk the sugar, cocoa, & salt into the milk.
- Whisk in the chocolate chips.
- Stir in the vanilla & enjoy!
Step by Step
Step 1: Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk continually until just combined.
Step 2: Add in the chocolate chips. Continue whisking until the chocolate chips are melted. Select “Keep Warm” mode on the Instant Pot immediately.
Step 3: Stir in the vanilla. Keep hot chocolate warm in the Instant Pot while serving. Whisk the hot chocolate before serving.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Make Ahead: Instant Pot hot chocolate can be made in advance. See storage and reheating instructions below.
- Refrigerator: Hot chocolate can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Reheating: Reheat hot chocolate on the stove over medium low heat stirring continuously until warm. You can also reheat the hot chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments until warm.
- I do not recommend freezing the hot chocolate.
- Do not overheat the milk. The milk should be at a simmer, not a boil. If the milk begins to boil, switch the Instant Pot to “Keep Warm”.
- Whisk continuously. This ensures that the cocoa powder and chocolate is well combined and smooth.
- Serve with toppings. I recommend serving this Instant Pot hot chocolate recipe with whipped cream, marshmallows, sprinkled, crushed cookies, peppermint/candy canes, or shaved chocolate. You can set out all of the toppings and make a hot chocolate bar.
- This recipe can be doubled. For a large group, you can double or triple the recipe. The 8 quart Instant Pot can easily hold this volume.
- Dairy-free: Use any dairy free milk and dairy free chocolate. Enjoy Life is a great allergy friendly chocolate brand.
- Almond flavored: Add ¼-1/2 teaspoon of almond extract.
- Peppermint flavored: Add ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract.
- Cinnamon/pumpkin pie spice: Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Try my homemade Substitute for Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- Slow Cooker: You can also keep this hot cocoa recipe warm in the slow cooker.
- Stove Top: Follow the recipe as stated, except use a large pot over medium heat on the stove. Turn the heat off after step 3.
Instant Pot Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups milk*
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped or chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Select the “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk continually until just combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips. Continue whisking until the chocolate chips are melted. Select “Keep Warm” mode on the Instant Pot immediately.
- Stir in the vanilla. Keep hot chocolate warm in the Instant Pot while serving. Whisk the hot chocolate before serving.