This easy white Rum Moscow Mule only requires 3 ingredients! It is refreshing, light, and perfect for those who do not like vodka. You can use a spiced rum, dark rum, or swap the rum for club soda for a virgin mule.
A rum moscow mule over crushed ice is the perfect summer beverage. While moscow mules are typically made with vodka, they can easily be made with rum or tequila. Try my Tequila Mule!
This Peach Moscow Mule is another delicious variation of a classic moscow mule. It also can be made with whichever liquor you prefer.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe & What You’ll Learn
- This white rum moscow mule recipe only requires 3 ingredients.
- This moscow mule with rum is lightly sweetened with ginger beer which is balanced by a slight tanginess from the fresh lime juice.
- This summer cocktail is very refreshing and perfect for sipping poolside or on the beach.
- You can turn this rum mule into a dark rum mule (or a dark ‘n stormy) or a spiced rum mule, by using different types of rum.
- This moscow mule with rum recipe can be scaled up to make a while pitcher for a crowd.
- Learn how to make a moscow mule with different types of rum.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Ginger Beer: I typically use Fever Tree Ginger Beer, but you can use any brand that you prefer. You can also use ginger ale, but it will be a little sweeter and have a slightly different flavor.
- Rum: See the list of rums recommended above.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
How to Make a Rum Moscow Mule
- Combine the ginger beer, rum, and lime juice.
- Top with ice and enjoy!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a copper mug or highball glass, stir together the ginger beer, rum, and lime juice.
Step 2: Top with ice, lime wedges, and mint leaves, if desired.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Make Ahead: If you are preparing this drink for a group ahead of time, the limes can be juiced one day in advance. Do not mix the drink until right before serving.
- Use fresh lime juice. Fresh lime juice has a much better flavor than bottled lime juice.
- Use good quality rum. I listed a few popular and highly rated rums above. My favorite is Flor de Cana.
- Add crushed ice right before serving. This prevents the rum mule from getting watered down.
- This recipe can be scaled up for a group. Instead of combining the ginger beer, rum, and lime juice in an individual cup, combine them in a pitcher. You can also pour it into a drink dispenser. Do not add ice to the pitcher/dispenser because it will water down the rum mules. Add ice to individual cups and pour the rum mule over ice right before serving.
- Virgin moscow mule: Swap the 2 ounces of white rum for club soda.
- Spiced rum moscow mule: Swap the white rum for a spiced rum or add some spiced simple syrup.
- Dark rum mule (dark ‘n stormy): Swap the white rum for a dark rum.
3 Ingredient Rum Moscow Mule
- 4 ounces (½ cup) ginger beer*
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) white rum*
- ½ lime, juiced
- mint leaves
- lime slices
- In a copper mug or highball glass, stir together the ginger beer, rum, and lime juice.
- Top with ice, lime wedges, and mint leaves, if desired.