Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Moscow mules might be my favorite cocktail of all time. I am a ginger beer lover. I just find them to be so refreshing and light. It is definitely my go to drink order when I am out, especially for day drinking.
My husband on the other hand loves a margarita on the rocks. In fact, he really just loves tequila. He will just sip it on the rocks. Not for me, but you get the point.
So I wanted to combine our two favorite cocktails and create a moscow mule with tequila or a mexican mule. I even added a bit of fresh mint for even more flavor.
This has quickly become one of our favorites to sip on especially as the weather has warmed up here in Seattle.
- Light, refreshing, & not too sweet
- 4 ingredients (including the garnish)
- Takes maybe 5 minutes to make
- Perfect cocktail for warm weather (especially day drinking)
- Great for summer parties, beach/pool days, or even taco night
before you start . . .
Step 1: In a small pitcher, jar, or cocktail shaker, mix together the ginger beer, tequila, and lime juice.
Step 2: Pour over a tall glass of ice and enjoy. Garnish with extra limes and mint leaves if desired.
Expert Tips & Recipe Notes
- Use good quality tequila. I prefer silver tequila but aged tequila also works. Casamigos is a great brand. For a smokey twist, try Mezcal.
- Use fresh lime juice. I never recommend using store bought lime juice. It has an off flavor and is not good for cocktails.
- Pour over ice right before serving. No one likes a watery drink so be sure to pour over ice immediately before drinking.
Mexican Mule Recipe (Tequila Mule)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) ginger beer*
- 4 ounces (½ cup) silver tequila
- 1 lime, juiced
- Optional Garnish:
- mint leaves
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- In a small pitcher, jar, or cocktail shaker, mix together the ginger beer, tequila, and lime juice.
- Pour over a tall glass of ice and enjoy. Garnish with extra limes and mint leaves if desired.