This refreshing Mexican Mule is the perfect cross between a margarita and moscow mule. This simple cocktail only requires 4 ingredients and could not be easier to make. The fresh mint and lime juice make it the perfect summer drink.
I love a light and refreshing cocktail like this tequila mule recipe, my Peach Moscow Mule or Rum Mule.
If margaritas are more your speed, you will want to try my Blackberry Jalapeño Margarita or Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe.
What is in a Mexican Mule?
A mexican mule (vs moscow mule) has tequila instead of vodka. Mexican mules are sometimes made spicy by adding jalapeño or spicy margarita salt. You can also use reposado tequila instead of silver tequila for a different flavor.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe & What You’ll Learn
- This is the best mexican mule recipe because it is light, fresh, and not too sweet.
- A tequila mule only requires 3 ingredients.
- This Mexican mule recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make.
- Learn how to make a mexican mule and some variations of the classic, like a Mexican mule with ginger ale or a Mexican mule with jalapeño.
- Ginger Beer: Any brand will work, but I normally use Fever Tree. If you do not have ginger beer, you can use ginger ale. It does not have as strong of a ginger flavor and is a bit sweeter.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
How to Make a Mexican Mule
- Mix together the ginger beer, tequila, and lime juice.
- Pour over ice in your favorite mug or glass.
Step 1: In a small pitcher, jar, or cocktail shaker, mix together the ginger beer, tequila, and lime juice.
Step 2: Pour over a tall glass of ice and enjoy. Garnish with extra limes and mint leaves if desired.
Expert Tips & Recipe Notes
- Use good quality tequila. Since a Mexican mule is only tequila, ginger beer, and lime juice, you want to use a good quality tequila because you will definitely taste it. I love Casamigos tequila.
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice. In general, I never recommend using store bought lime juice, but especially not for cocktails where the flavor of the lime juice is so prominent. Fresh lime juice has a much brighter taste.
- Mix and pour over ice right before serving. This ensures the cocktail does not get watered down. It is best to mix a mule right before serving so the ginger beer is fizzy.
Mexican Mule Variations
- Virgin moscow mule: Swap the 2 ounces of tequila for club soda.
- Mexican mule reposado: Use any reposado or gold tequila in place of silver tequila.
- Mezcal: Swap the silver tequila for mezcal. It has a smokey flavor that really adds a unique flavor to the classic mule.
- Spicy mexican mule: Muddle a couple of thin jalapeño slices in the lime juice before adding the other ingredients. You can also use a spicy margarita salt on the rim of the glass.
- Add a splash of orange juice or orange liqueur: This adds even more fresh citrusy flavor to the tequila mule.
- Extra sweet: Add a little agave syrup to the tequila mule. This pairs well with the tequila and will make the cocktail sweeter.
Yes. Scale the recipe accordingly. This recipe yields 2 cocktails. Make the mules (without the ginger beer) up to one day in advance and store in a pitcher in the refrigerator without ice. Once you are ready to serve, pour over ice and top with the ginger beer.
A traditional moscow mule is a cocktail made of ginger beer, lime juice and vodka.
Ginger beer is like ginger soda. It is carbonated and has a warm and slightly spicy ginger flavor.
Typically no or it has a very small alcohol content. Fever Tree ginger beer is non alcoholic. Leave out the tequila for a refreshing mocktail.
The tequila, of course! Swapping vodka for tequila in a traditional moscow mule makes it a Mexican version.
Copper mugs are a popular cup to serve a moscow mule in. The copper gets colder than a normal glass so it keeps the drink colder. It is a tradition that started back in the 1940s.
Mexican Mule Recipe (Tequila Mule)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) ginger beer*
- 4 ounces (½ cup) silver tequila
- 1 lime, juiced
- Optional Garnish:
- mint leaves
- In a small pitcher, jar, or cocktail shaker, mix together the ginger beer, tequila, and lime juice.
- Pour over a tall glass of ice and enjoy. Garnish with extra limes and mint leaves if desired.
Leave a Reply