This Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe is the perfect lightly sweetened cocktail for summer. It has a touch of spice from the fresh jalapeño and is garnished with a sweet and spicy chili salt. It is so super easy to make and even easier to drink.
This skinny spicy margarita recipe, is very similar to my Mexican Mule, but with a few more ingredients.
- Sweet & a little spicy
- Low calorie
- No refined sugar
- Super simple & easy to make
- Lime Juice: Use freshly squeezed lime juice instead of bottled for the best flavor.
- Honey: Substitute for agave syrup.
- Cayenne: Use just a pinch or omit all together if you do not want more spice on the rim.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
before you start
- Be sure you have something to shake your cocktail in. A cocktail shaker or jar works best. In a pinch a pitcher and stirring spoon will also get the job done.
Step 1: Mix all of the salt ingredients together on a small plate.
Step 2: Run a lime wedge around the rim of the cup to wet it (this allows the salt to stick).
Step 3: Dip each glass into the salt and move the glass around gently until there is a ring of salt around the glass.
Step 4: Fill the glass with ice.
Step 5: Fill a small pitcher, jar, or cocktail shaker with some ice. Pour in the tequila, lime juice, honey, and jalapeño sliced. Shake well.
Step 6: Pour into the salted glasses and enjoy. Garnish with more lime wedges and jalapeños if desired.
TIP - Shake for at least 30 seconds.
- Use a cocktail shaker or jar to mix the margarita.
- Make sure there is enough lime juice on the rim of the glass so that the salt sticks.
- Shake for longer than you think necessary so the honey mixes in completely.
It has much less sugar than a traditional frozen margarita.
There are around 9 grams of carbohydrates in each serving of this cocktail (this is only an estimate).
Use a whole jalapeño instead of half for an extra kick.
Skinny Spicy Margarita Recipe (Jalapeño)
- 4 ounces (½ cup) silver tequila
- 2 limes, juiced*
- 1 Tablespoon honey*
- ½ jalapeño, sliced thinly
- 2 Tablespoons flaky sea salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- zest of 1 lime
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Mix all of the salt ingredients together on a small plate.
- Run a lime wedge around the rim of the cup to wet it (this allows the salt to stick).
- Dip each glass into the salt and move the glass around gently until there is a ring of salt around the glass.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Fill a small pitcher, jar, or cocktail shaker with some ice. Pour in the tequila, lime juice, honey, and jalapeño sliced. Shake well.
- Pour into the salted glasses and enjoy. Garnish with more lime wedges and jalapeños if desired.
- Shake for at least 30 seconds.
So yummy! Only suggestions I have are it’s not really skinny if you’re comparing it to agave syrup as they have the same amount of calories. Also I feel that it’s way too much cayenne pepper for the rim. I would do a sprinkle with the amount of salt/sugar ratio.
Hi Grace! Thank you for your feedback. I will make a note on the recipe about the cayenne. This margarita is considered skinny because it contains less calories than a traditional frozen margarita. Hope this helps! 🙂