You can also use this chipotle lime crema recipe for chicken, like my Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Breast. It adds so much flavor!
- This chipotle crema recipe only takes about 5 minutes to make.
- The chipotle crema ingredients are super simple. The base of the crema is sour cream, but the crema can also be made with plain Greek Yogurt.
- Chipotle lime cream sauce is a great sauce for tacos.
- This sauce is gluten free and vegetarian. I also have a vegan chipotle crema variation below. It is also low carb!
- This chipotle crema sauce is rich, smoky, savory, and has a hint of sweetness.
- Sour Cream: Substitute for plain Greek yogurt.
- Chipotles: Taste the crema and add more chipotle if desired. This will add more smoky flavor and spice.
- Honey: Swap for 1 teaspoon of white sugar.
How to Make Chipotle Crema
- Add all of the chipotle crema ingredients to the food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
Step 1: In a food processor, add the sour cream, chipotles, lime juice, honey, salt, and garlic.
Step 2: Pulse until the peppers and garlic are completely pureed and the sauce is smooth. Add ½ - 1 tablespoon of water to thin the sauce out more, if desired.
Expert Tips & Recipe Notes
- Use fresh lime. I do not recommend using the lime juice that comes in a squeeze bottle. Fresh has a much better taste.
- Use a spatula. Be sure to scrape the food processor between the pulses. I have noticed that chunks of garlic or chipotle might get stuck. You want the sauce to be smooth.
- Taste as you go. Taste the sauce and make adjustments as needed. You can always add more, but you can’t take away. So I always err on the side of less and add after I taste. You might want to add more salt, lime, garlic, or chipotle.
- The sauce is pretty thick and continues to thicken in the refrigerator. Add about ½ tablespoon (or more) of water at any point to thin the sauce out a bit. It will not affect the flavor.
- This chipotle crema develops more flavor as it sits. It can easily be made one day in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Refrigerator: Store leftover chipotle crema sauce in the fridge in an airtight container or jar for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: I do not recommend freezing this sauce. However, you can freeze leftover chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. Store them in an airtight bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Ways to Use Chipotle Sauce
- As a dipping sauce for Mexican Potatoes, Air Fryer Frozen French Fries, or Carne Asada Quesadillas
- On top of Instant Pot Turkey Tacos, Instant Pot Shredded Beef Bowls, or Baked Cilantro Lime Tacos
- The options are endless!
- Vegan chipotle crema: Swap the sour cream for vegan sour cream and the honey for white sugar.
- Chipotle avocado crema: Swap about ⅓ of the sour cream for ⅓ cup mashed avocado.
- Extra spicy: Add an extra chipotle pepper.
Easy Chipotle Crema
- ⅔ cup (6 ounces) sour cream*
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo sauce*
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- In a food processor, add the sour cream, chipotles, lime juice, honey, salt, and garlic.
- Pulse until the peppers and garlic are completely pureed and the sauce is smooth. Add ½ - 1 tablespoon of water to thin the sauce out more, if desired.