Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Don’t underestimate the power of a good dipping/finishing sauce. It is a great way to elevate any dish and add a ton of extra flavor. And who doesn’t love the smooth texture of sour cream?
Sour cream has become an absolute necessity as a taco topping for me. Especially because I typically load up on the spicy salsas, I need something to cool things down.
Since we have Mexican food like once a week at my house. We are always looking for ways to spice our tacos, burritos, enchilada, salads etc. up with something other than plain sour cream. So I created this super simple chipotle crema.
Sour cream based sauces are a fun and easy way to experiment with different flavors. What is your favorite sour cream based sauce?
- Only takes about 5 minutes to make & no cooking involved
- 6 super simple ingredients
- Rich, smoky, savory, and hint of sweetness
- Great as a dipping sauce or on tacos or salads
- Fun way to spice up your typical taco routine 😉
- Sour Cream: Substitute for plain Greek yogurt.
- Chipotles: Taste the crema and add more chipotle if desired. This will add more smoky flavor and spice.
- Honey: Swap for 1 teaspoon of white sugar.
before you start . . .
Step 1: In a food processor, add the sour cream, chipotles, lime juice, honey, salt, and garlic.
Step 2: Pulse until the peppers and garlic are completely pureed and the sauce is smooth. Add ½ - 1 tablespoon of water to thin the sauce out more, if desired.
Expert Tips & Recipe Notes
- Use a spatula. Be sure to scrape the food processor between the pulses. I have noticed that chunks of garlic or chipotle might get stuck. You want the sauce to be smooth.
- Taste as you go. Taste the sauce and make adjustments as needed. You can always add more, but you can’t take away. So I always err on the side of less and add after I taste. You might want to add more salt, lime, garlic, or chipotle.
- The sauce is pretty thick and continues to thicken in the refrigerator. Add about ½ tablespoon (or more) of water at any point to thin the sauce out a bit. It will not affect the flavor.
Chipotle Lime Crema Sauce
- ⅔ cup (6 ounces) sour cream*
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo sauce*
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon honey*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- In a food processor, add the sour cream, chipotles, lime juice, honey, salt, and garlic.
- Pulse until the peppers and garlic are completely pureed and the sauce is smooth. Add ½ - 1 tablespoon of water to thin the sauce out more, if desired.