This Instant Pot Chili (No Beans) is super hearty and perfect for the colder months ahead. It cooks for less than 30 minutes, yet tastes like it has been simmering for hours. This recipe has chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and bacon for a rich and smokey flavor. Corn is totally optional, but adds some nice sweetness and texture.
One of the first meals I cooked for my husband was chili. It soons became one of his favorites, along with this queso chicken & rice skillet. And to this day is one of his favorite recipes of mine so I figured this time of the year was the perfect time to share it with you.
He hates beans so this is a no bean chili recipe. It is honestly so good, I don’t even miss the beans. But of course you could always add a can or two.
It gets extra flavor from the bacon and chipotles. Plus the Instant Pot cooks this chili in less than 30 minutes. So easy and so good! Hope you enjoy!! xx
- Easy & healthy instant pot chili recipe without beans
- Not too spicy
- Simple ingredients
- Bold flavor
- Smokiness from the chipotles and bacon
- Cozy fall or winter dinner
- Low carb chili (without corn)
- Ground Beef: Swap for ground turkey or a leaner ground beef if desired.
- Smoked Paprika: Be sure to use smoked and not regular. It has a completely different flavor.
- Corn: Omit the corn if desired, but it adds a nice sweetness.
- Honey: Swap for 1 Tablespoon of white or brown sugar.
- Chipotle Peppers & Adobo Sauce: These normally come in a 7 ounce can. Remove 2-4 the peppers from the sauce and roughly chop. Discard or store the remaining peppers in the refrigerator. Set the sauce aside and add all of it when the recipe states.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- Fullstar Vegetable Chopper: Perfect for chopping veggies. It includes a large a
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker: This is the Instant Pot I use for all of my recipes. I have the 8 quart model which is great for larger recipes.
- Silicone Nonstick Mixing Spoons: These heat resistant spoons are great for everyday cooking.
- Sauté the meat, spices, and veggies.
- Stir in all of the liquids and canned tomatoes.
- Pressure cook & enjoy with sour cream, cheese, and corn chips on top!
Step by Step
Step 1: Select “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the beef and bacon. Sauté until mostly browned.
Step 2: Add the chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
Step 3: Add in the onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Step 4: Stir in the stock, crushed & diced tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, honey, worcestershire, chipotles, and adobo sauce.
Step 5: Select “Pressure Cook” & “High”. Set the time to 25 minutes. Quick release (switch the valve to venting) the pressure as soon as the timer goes off.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Refrigerator: Store leftover no bean chili in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days.
- Reheating: Reheat on the stove over medium heat until boiling. You can also reheat the instant pot chili (no beans) in the microwave.
- Freezer: Allow the leftover low carb chili to cool overnight in the fridge. Portion the chili in airtight containers or bags. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Reheating: Thaw chili overnight in the fridge or reheat from frozen on the stove. Cover the chili and heat over medium low heat until boiling, stirring frequently.
- Use lots of spices. This spice blend this recipe calls for is full flavor. I do not recommend replacing it with a store-bought kit or mix.
- Don’t skip the bacon or chipotles. These add so much smokiness to the chili.
- Pressure cook. Pressure cooking the chili is the best way to impart lots of flavor quickly.
- This chili is not super spicy, but has a little heat. You can leave out the chipotle peppers, but still use the adobo sauce to decrease the heat even more.
- Spicy: Add ½ - 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper for a spicy chili. Start with less and add to taste.
- Stovetop: Follow the recipe as stated through step 4 in a large pot on the stove. Instead of pressure cooking, simmer covered for 3 hours on low.
- Slow cooker/crock-pot: Follow the recipe as stated through step 3 in a large pot on the stove. Add the meat mixture and the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Vegetables: Wilt in some spinach or chopped kale at the end for extra fiber and nutrients. This will slightly dilute the flavor.
Instant Pot Chili (No Beans)
- 1 ½ pounds 80/20 ground beef*
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon smoked paprika*
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
Vegetables & Liquid
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow corn, optional*
- 1 (8 ounce) can can plain tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon honey*
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire
- 2-4 chipotle peppers, chopped, plus remaining adobo sauce*
- Review all recipe notes and instructions before beginning.
- Select “Sauté” mode on the Instant Pot. Add the beef and bacon. Sauté until mostly browned.
- Add the chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, crushed & diced tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, honey, worcestershire, chipotles, and adobo sauce.
- Select “Pressure Cook” & “High”. Set the time to 25 minutes. Quick release (switch the valve to venting) the pressure as soon as the timer goes off.
- Serve with sour cream, cheese, and corn chips.