This easy Mozzarella Queso dip is loaded with two kinds of cheese, tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, and lots of spices. It is full of flavor, super creamy, and extra cheesy of course. Plus, it only takes 15 minutes to make on the stovetop.
My favorite dip to serve with this queso is my Easy Roasted Chili Corn Salsa Recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe & What You’ll Learn
- This mozzarella queso is made without processed cheeses, like velveeta. This gives it a better flavor.
- This mozzarella queso dip recipe is loaded with tomatoes, green chiles, cilantro, and spices for a little kick.
- This easy mozzarella queso only takes 15 minutes to make.
- This queso blanco dip is smooth and creamy.
- Queso dip is definitely kid friendly and a great party snack.
- Serve mozzarella queso as an appetizer with chips, salsa, and guacamole or as a topping for a taco bar. This homemade queso is perfect for game day or any party!
- Learn how to make queso dip on the stove.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Evaporated Milk: I have only tested this recipe with evaporated milk, but I have made other queso many times with other kinds of milk. I find evaporated milk works best.
- American/Cheddar: American cheese makes the queso smoother and a little creamier. Cheddar cheese gives a sharper and more prominent flavor. I prefer the cheddar, but the texture bothers some. You can also use 4 ounces of each. High quality American cheese, like Boar’s Head or Organic Valley is the best cheese for queso.
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set
- OXO Good Grips Box Grater
- Calphalon Simply Pots and Pans Set, 10 Piece Cookware Set, Nonstick
How to Make Mozzarella Queso
- Whisk together evaporated milk and cornstarch.
- Melt cheese.
- Add veggies and spices.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips!
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: In a skillet over medium heat, whisk together the evaporated milk and cornstarch. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce the heat to low.
Step 2: Add about a large handful of cheese to the milk, stirring continuously.
Step 3: Keep stirring and add another large handful.
Step 4: Add all of the remaining cheese, stirring continuously.
Step 5: Stir until all of the cheese is melted. The queso will be thick.
Step 6: Add the diced tomatoes, green chiles, cilantro, and spices.
Step 7: Stir until well combined. Add half and half as needed to thin queso out.
Make Ahead & Storage
- Make Ahead: The queso reheats well so it can be made in advance. Store and heat according to the instructions below. If you want to make it fresh, just prep the ingredients. Shred cheese and chop the cilantro.
- Refrigerator: Store leftover mozzarella queso in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each. Reheat on the stove over medium low heat, stirring frequently until warmed through. Add milk or water if needed to thin out the queso.
- Use evaporated milk. Evaporated milk works better than milk or cream. It really helps the cheese to melt seamlessly into the mozzarella queso dip and not separate.
- Grate your own cheese. Pre-grated cheese is coated in potato starch to prevent it from sticking together. This also prevents it from melting into the mozzarella cheese dip. Buy blocks of cheese and shred it at home or if you are using American cheese, have it sliced at the deli. Avoid the individually wrapped slices in the refrigerator section.
- Use room temperature cheese. If you have time, let the cheese sit out for about 30 minutes on the counter after shredding. This will increase the temperature of the cheese and help it melt better into the milk.
- Keep the heat on low. Only heat over medium when whisking together the milk and cornstarch. The heat should be on low when adding the cheese. You want the cheese to gradually melt into the milk. The cheese is much less likely to seize if the milk is not boiling.
- Stir constantly. While you are adding the cheese, don’t stop stirring!
- Keep warm in a slow cooker. Transfer mozzarella queso to a small slow cooker on warm for about 2 hours.
- Serve in an enameled cast iron skillet. These little skillets are so cute for serving mozzarella cheese dip with chips on the side. These skillets are oven safe so they are great for broiling the queso or warming it.
- The spice level is mild. If you use mild green chiles, the queso will have a very mild amount of spice. See variations below for how to make a spicy mozzarella queso dip.
- Spicy white queso: Add ¼-1/2 teaspoon (or more to taste) of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. You can also use hot green chiles instead of mild or medium.
- Ground beef or chorizo: When you add all of the vegetables, add cooked ground beef or chorizo.
The Best Mozzarella Queso
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk*
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 ounces (2 cups) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces (2 cups) American or cheddar cheese*
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces green chiles
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves & stems
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup half and half, or more as needed
- In a skillet over medium heat, whisk together the evaporated milk and cornstarch. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce the heat to low.
- Add about a large handful of cheese to the milk, stirring continuously.
- Keep stirring and add another large handful.
- Add all of the remaining cheese, stirring continuously.
- Stir until all of the cheese is melted. The queso will be thick.
- Add the diced tomatoes, green chiles, cilantro, and spices.
- Stir until well combined. Add half and half as needed to thin queso out.